We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going alone to Baalbek without a guide? Possible?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Going alone to Baalbek without a guide? Possible?

After reading a lot of messages, blogs, and trip tips online, I came to the conclusion that most foreigners go to Baalbek with a guide starting from Beirut. Since I will be on a budget, I was thinking about taking the buses all the way from Beirut to Baalbek, and visiting the sights alone. Do you think that's even a good idea, is it safe to do it without the guide?

Thank you everyone! :)

Han

4 replies to this topic
Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going alone to Baalbek without a guide? Possible?

Most foreigners do as you want to do.

Some tourists ask tour operators such as Nakhal or Wild Discovery to organize a day trip to the Bekaa Valley that combines a visit to the Baalbeck Temples, the Umayyades Castle and the Ksara Winery with a bus or a private tour, but the majority of tourists, whether on a budget or no prefer to go alone either with a taxi from their hotel or a shared taxi or a bus from the Cola Intersection in Beirut.

Best regards

Edited: 04 February 2017, 12:31
Miami, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Going alone to Baalbek without a guide? Possible?

I was in Baalbeck in last november with my wife and i enjoy. It is safe and the food in Lebanon is the best. I recommend visit Byblos, is a beautiful city near 40 kms from Beirut. I live in Miami and I recommend visit Lebanon. Best regards, Enrique Cordoba

Newhaven, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going alone to Baalbek without a guide? Possible?

There is a guide at the Baalbek site itself who is vey knowledgeable and pleasant. I've been there twice, and used him neither time, because I prefer to wander around in my own time and just take in the atmosphere - it is a stunning site on a scale that makes one feel ant-like. I'd rather read up about it before or afterwards. But if you want guide there is no need to take one all the way from Beirut. The guide there is very easy to talk to and not at all pushy.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going alone to Baalbek without a guide? Possible?

I've came back from the trip, Balbeek is totally doable by yourself, I took the local bus for 4-6k (cheap) to Baalbek, which took 2h, and visited the place by myself. We did the one day trip from Beirut. Keep in mind the last bus to Beirut is at 5/6 pm, ask the locals

Reply to: Going alone to Baalbek without a guide? Possible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Baalbeck