We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription drugs - banned list

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Prescription drugs - banned list

Where can I find out which drugs are banned for entry to Dubai? I am currently taking a fertility drug called clomid (clomiphene)and over the counter folic acid, does anyone know if these are on the banned list? I have tried emailing the address given on the foreign office website Dubai page but had no response.

Many thanks

115 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

Thanks feel better now, was starting to panic!!

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
1 post
160 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

Here's a list for you. Just copy & paste into Word then you can use the search element of word to find out if what you want to take is banned. This list was current as of 15/01/2013

Controlled substances in the UAE

Narcotic (Active ingredients)

Alfentanil, Amphetamine, Buprenorphone, Codeine, Fentanyl, Ketamine, Methadone, Methyphenidate

Morphine, Pentazocine, Pethidine, Remifentanil, Sufentanil

Controlled Drug Class A – Psychotropics (Active ingredients)

Acitretin, Alprazolam, Aripiprazole, Bromazepam, Buprenorphine 200 (microgram tablets and 500 microgram injection), Butorphanol, Chlopromazine, Chlordiazepoxide, Clobazam, Clonazepam

Clorazepate, Diazepam, Dihydrocodeine, Droperidol, Flumazenil, Flupentixol, Fluphenazine, Haloperidol, Isotretinoin, Lorazepam, Medazepam, Mephenoxalone, Midazolam, Misoprostol

Nalbuphine, Olanzapine, Phenobarbitone, Pimozide, Prazepam, Prochlorperazine, Propofol

Prostaglandin, Quetiapine, Risperidone, Sulpiride, Sultopride, Temazepam, Thiopentone, Tiapride

Tramadol, Trfluoperazine, Zaleplon, Ziprasidone, Zolpidem, Zuclopenhtixol

Controlled Drug Class B (Active ingredients)

Amitriptyline, Baclofen, Benzhexol, Biperiden, Buspirone, Carisoprodol, Citalopram, Clomipramine

Codeine, Cyclobenzaprine, Dextromethorphan, Diphenoxylate, Dotheipin, Duloxetine, Escitalopram

Estradiol, Ethinylestradiol, Etonogestrel, Fluoxetine, Flupenthixol, Fluvoxamine, Imapramine, Isotretonin, Lithium Carbonate, Maprotiline, Menotrophin, Meserolone, Methocarbomol, Mianserin

Milnacipran, Minaprine, Mirtazapine, Moclobemide, Naltrexone, Nandrolone, Nefazodone, Norethisterone, Norethisterone, Norgetrol, Noscapine, Octreotide, Oestradiol, Opipramol, Orphenadrine, Oseltamivir, Oxazepam, Paroxetine, Pholcodine, Pimecrolimus, Procyclidine

Propoxyphene (with paracetemol, Pyrisuccideanol, Reboxetine, Sertraline, Somatrophine, Testosterone, Ticlopidine, Tizanidine, Tretinoin, Trimipramine, Vecuronium, Venlafaxine

Appendix 2 Common UAE controlled drugs (Trade names)

The following list shows some of the TRADE names of those controlled items that are registered as medicines in the UAE

Narcotics

Ketalar, Physeptone, Ritalin, Sosegon, Subutex, Ultiva,

Controlled Drugs Class A – Psychotropics

Abilify, Anexate, Arthrotec, Ativan, Barnetil, Buccastem, Clopixol, Cytotec, Deanxit, Dehydrobenzperidol, Demetrin, DHC continues, Dialag, Diapam, Diprivan, Dogmatil, Dormicum

Dorsilon, Frisium, Gardinal, Genprid, Haldol, Intraval, Largactil, Lexotanil, Limbitrol, Neotigason

Nobrium, Noctran, Nubain, Orap, Prolixin, Propess, Risperdal, Rivotril, Serenace, Seroquel, Sonata

Stadol, Stelazine, Stemetil, Stesolid, Stilnox, Tekam, Temgesic, Tiapridal, Tramal, Tramundin, Tranxene, Valium, Xanax, Zaldiar, Zeldox, Zyprexa

Controlled Drugs Class B

123 Cold, Actifed Compound, Actifed DM, Activelle, Adol Cold, Adol Compound, Adumbran, Akineton

Algaphan, Anafranil, Andriol, Artane, Athymil, Aurorix, Benxtrone, Bepro, Broncholar, Broncholar forte

Bronchophane, Buspar, Cancolite, Cantor, Cipralex, Cipram, Climen, Codaphen, Codaphen plus, Codilar, Codipront, Codis, Coldex-dD, Cymbalta, Deca durabolin, Decutan, Dextrocuf, Dextrolag, Diarsed, Diaxine, Dicton, Distalgesic, Edronax, Efexor, Elidel, Estracomb, Estrofem, Faverin, Femoston, Flexiban, Flozak, Fluanxol, Flumed DM adult, Fluneurin, Fluoxone, Fluran, Flutin, Fluxetyl

Genotropin, Insidon, Intard, Ixel, Kafosed, Kemadrin, Kliogest, Lagaflex, Linz, Lioresal, Lomotil, Ludiomil, Menogen, Muscadol, Myogesic, Noracod, Norcuron, Norditropin, Norflex, Norgesic, Nuvaing

Oxetine, Paracodol, Phensedyl, Primotestone, Progyluton, Prothiaden, Proviron, Prozac, Remeron, Revacod, Rhinotussel, Riaphan, Roaccutane, Robaxin, Robaxisal, Robitussin-CF, Romilar, Saizen

Salipax, Sandostatin, Saroten, Sedofan DM, Sedofan-P, Seroxat, Serzone, Sirdalud, Somadryl compound, St Joseph cough, Sterandryl, Stivane, Surmontil, Sustanon, Tamiflu, Ticlid, Tixylix, Tofranil, Trexan, Tripofed dm, Trisequens, Tryptizol, Tuscalman, Tussifin with codeine, Unified DM

Vesanoid, Virormone, Zoloft

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,663 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

And I bet that list will frighten the life out of most of the visitors who've been wondering about medication!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,138 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

Yes there's a list but it really is of no relevance to a visitor on holiday.

No one in Dubai is interested in stopping a holiday maker with prescribed meds.

And the poster may also like to know that the UK has a similar list - only it's longer - as does every other country in the world.

Dubai is no different from any other destination in this regard and all you need to do is take your meds with a copy of the prescription the same as you would with any other country you were visiting

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

Oh dear. There is no banned list.

As it says in the post above, some substances are ''controlled'' that's not the same as being banned and every country has ''controlled'' drugs.

The UAE government has no interest in stopping visitors bringing in medication that they need. Visitors should carry a copy of the prescription or doctors letter to prove the medications are for them. Medicine should be keep in original packaging. This is the same for every country in the world it's just people only seem to think about it when visiting Dubai.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

Hear hear Kali. I suggest the first word everyone searches for in their Word document is BANNED! Because it ain't there.

Falkirk
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

My wife and I are both on medications prescribed by our GP. We are tavelling to and from Australia via Dubai. The change over times are less than 3 hours. Will we still have to carry the medication in our hand luggage ? I assume that the other luggage will be transferred without contact with ourselves. Can we pack the medication in our baggage hold cases?

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,663 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

It's up to you where you put the medication. It's normally recommended you carry it with you in hand luggage in case of emergency or if your suitcase went astray.

Falkirk
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

Thank you I will bear that in mind

Newcastle upon Tyne
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

I've got my meds in my name and pharmacy dosage info and my name on them. I've got a Drs letter. Do I go through the green or do you have to go through red and declare them? I realise this is a Dubai forum but I will be going to Dubai, Thailand and Cambodia so thought I would ask those of you who travel a lot with medication.

Thanks,

Jess

Reply to: Prescription drugs - banned list
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted