We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alpena Michigan the secret of the north

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
332 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Alpena Michigan the secret of the north

If anyone is interested in Alpena or Northeast Lower Michigan please elt me know I would be more than willing to give you assistance on your visit to this area. It truely is a hiden gem that you don't want to miss.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,068 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alpena Michigan the secret of the north

I'm just passing through there and wondered if there are any good coffee shops? You know, Starbucks type but local.

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alpena Michigan the secret of the north

There are a couple of good sandwich shops that have different fariety of coffee's I would give Take 5 Deli a try. Good luck and have a safe trip

michigan
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alpena Michigan the secret of the north

I see that your post was from July, but hopefully you will see this. We will be visiting Alpena either this week-end or next. Anything good for 2 adults and a 14 year old? It looks like holiday inn is the best bet for my teenager?? THANKS for any info!!

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alpena Michigan the secret of the north

Right now the snow is prime for snowmobiling and cross country sking.

AS far as motels I would look at either the Holiday Inn or the Days Inn.

The Ice fishing is really picking up right now also. Alpena is a outdoorsman paradise.

Welcome to Alpena and have a safe trip.

Terry

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
530 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alpena Michigan the secret of the north

Just curious, Is that gift shop still there in the old Drug Store? It's been years since I was there, Maybe 15 years or so, but I was fascinated by the old bottles and shelves and wheeled ladders, etc.I loved Alpena for the quaintness, small town, friendly feel.

Thank you for sharing your expertise!!!

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alpena Michigan the secret of the north

I think you are talking about John Henry's antique shop, and yes it is still here. I could spend hours in that store looking at all the old bottles, tins and war memorablia.

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alpena Michigan the secret of the north

Kimbo, another attraction you don't want to miss is the NOAA museum. There is alot of history about sailing and the great lakes. Very interesting and educational.

Bonita Springs...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alpena Michigan the secret of the north

HELLO ALPENA!!!;.)

Yes Alpena is deff the secret of the north! I now live in SW Fla and Im on my way home to Alpena! Even though it is beautiful here it does not compare to there! the woods, water ,and just the people in general, are so diffrent, I miss it sooo much! the walks in the woods,jumping in the fresh water lakes and the places you go where EVERYONE knows you'r name.( well sometimes I miss that) LOL, anyway its nice to see someone familer with home, it makes me even more excited to be there! Cant wait to get back to my secret place!

ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alpena Michigan the secret of the north

Hi,

Planning to go up there the first 2 weeks of August.

Does anyone know a nice cabin/cottage to stay in with 2 adults and 2 kids?

Thanks!

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alpena Michigan the secret of the north

I would contact the chamber of Commerce at 989-354-4181. It being so late most of the cottages book up here quick, Contact the Chamber and they will be able to provide you a list of cottages and you will have to contact the owners to see what they have available.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your stay here in Alpena.

Get answers to your questions about Alpena
Recent Conversations