We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip in July

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Daytrip in July

We have to drop our son off at the Alpena Combat Readiness Center on July 10, 2010. We will have most of the day Saturday to do something. It will be just my huband and myself. Are there any scenic areas along the water to walk/picnic? We love to take pictures. Just looking for something different to do without the kids where we can relax and enjoy the outdoors. I would love any suggestions. We wouldn't mind a scenic drive with some stopping points as long as it is going in the southernly direction so it can be on the way home (we are from the Youngstown, Ohio area) Any sand dunes on the east side of the state? All the mentions of sand dunes I've found are on the west and I don't have the time to go. Also looking for a scenic drive home We are drving from Youngstown Ohio.

Canton, Michigan
Level Contributor
139 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrip in July

If you do not drive along US-23 from Standish to Alpena, then I would suggest driving south from Alpena along US-23. There are several state parks along Lake Huron that offer wonderful views, lighthouses, etc. and many quaint lakefront communities. If you are adventurous, drive M-25 around the thumb to Port Huron. Enjoy your Michigan Road Trip!

Alpena Mi
Level Contributor
70 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrip in July

If you want odd there is the Toilet Bowl Races at the fairgrounds that day...not exactly sure what they are lol Anywhere along the lake is nice and there will be a concert at the band shell in the evening. Also at the fairgrounds is IMPACT MUSIC FESTIVAL An all day music festival. It includes activities and games for the family. Bands from all over the United States, both Christian and Rock music include: Just Us, Otherwise Broken, Ablaze, Any Given Sunday, Icris & roman's Highway. A dinner at the merchant building and loads of fun things to do. Only $5.00 at the gate; 10 and under free.

This is a linik to some of the events for the day and month www.alpenacvb.com/events.phtml…

3. Re: Daytrip in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2011, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Alpena
Recent Conversations