We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chobe National Park and Victoria falls in February

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Chobe National Park and Victoria falls in February

Hi,

Mu husband and I are planning a trip to Victoria falls and then Chobe National Park in February 2016 (the only time we are able to go). We are aware that this is a rainy season, however, I would like to know from somebody who was there at that time how bad the rain really is. Does it rain all day or do you have also chance for some sunny weather with showers?what are the temperatures like? Thank you for you help.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chobe National Park and Victoria falls in February

The rain itself really isn't a big deal. Although it's rainy season, the actual levels of rainfall are pretty low and unless you're unlucky you should find it mostly dry. I spent 15 days in Botswana at that time of year in 2013 and it only rained about 2 or 3 times.

The main issue with rainy season as far as safari goes is it means that there is more water around deep in the bush, so the animals have less reason to congregate around major water sources like the Chobe river. Which means game viewing may not be quite as good. Also, the vegetation will be thicker which can make spotting animals a bit harder.

At that time of year I would strongly suggest trying to spend a few days in one of the private concessions in the Okavango Delta. In private concessions you can drive off the road (which is strictly not allowed in a national park like Chobe). This means that some of the issues with the vegetation can be overcome by the flexibility of being able to go off road to view and track animals.

The good news is that, although these private concessions can be very expensive in high season, in February there are very good deals and special offers around that make them much more affordable.

As for temperatures, it's pretty hot but I didn't find it uncomfortably so. Maybe maximum temperatures in the mid 30s.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,596 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chobe National Park and Victoria falls in February

We were in the area around this time in 2011. We got the occasional downpour but it dried up quickly and I can't remember any activities bring disrupted- take a decent foldable waterproof and you'll be fine.

I would second the advice from Stokeygirl though, if you can afford one or two of the private reserves then you will see more- we got a good deal with Kwando and found the camps very comfortable and the guides excellent.

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chobe National Park and Victoria falls in February

I actually think its a great time in Chobe, Its not so busy, and game viewing is still great. good blog about Chobe, .http://africageographic.com/blog/cape-town-to-chobe-on-a-budget/

Kasane
Level Contributor
175 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chobe National Park and Victoria falls in February

February is a great time, everything is (normally) green and the wildlife looks fat and happy. The rain normally comes later in the afternoon and can be short or last for a few hours. While the wildlife may has dispersed a bit to take advantage of the numerous inland waterholes one can still see a lot of game. Temperatures are normally in the low 30s although this can go up if there are no clouds. As mentioned above it's also a great time to visit with regards pricing as prices can drop significantly.

Enjoy!

Clive in Kasane.

5. Re: Chobe National Park and Victoria falls in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2016, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Kasane