We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kasane to Livingstone Boarder Crossing Info for both sides

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Kasane to Livingstone Boarder Crossing Info for both sides

Hi There,

Any helpful info will be greatly appreciated.

We will be travelling by car (self drive) from Kasane to Livingstone for 3 days where will want to see Vic falls from both sides. Can anyone please give me any up to date info re the boarder crossings/entry requirements/costs/what type of visas to get etc. After we have stayed in Linvingstone we will be heading back through Kasane on our way back to Gaborone.

Thanks

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kasane to Livingstone Boarder Crossing Info for both sides

We did it in March, and I have to say it was a hassle..probably the most disorganized border I've crossed out of 20 nations visited.

First is the Ferry: Ignore the 5km long line of trucks that you'll see parked alongside the road in Kasane, and drive past them all to the river and ferry. They wait multiple days for their turn; you as a tourist get to jump that line. Same story on the Livingstone side.Once on the ferry, we paid the fee on the boat from Kasane to Livingstone, but on the way back from Livingstone to Kasane, you have to go to a small building and pay in advance. This caused some confusion as we assumed it would be the same procedure both ways. The result was me about to drive onto the ferry and then being told to back off till I could show my receipt, which I had to scurry off and purchase before boarding.

I'll not get into the particulars or costs of the border process; there are plenty of others who can likely provide exact rates to you and there are lots of links you can google. I don't want to risk giving you bad $ amounts based on my unclear recollections.

What I will say is this: You'll need paperwork proving the car is yours. You'll need to show safety equipment is asked (fire extinguisher, reflective traffic triangles, reflector tape on bumpers). You'll need to get a series of things accomplished: Immigration, then customs, then road tax, then carbon tax, and then third party insurance.

....and all of this will be accomplished with a large number of civilian touts yelling at you and pulling on your elbow as they tell you how for a few bucks, they can help you expedite the process. You'll likely be approached by your first ones as you ride the ferry, and then more will join in as you debark on the Livingstone side. Some will present themselves as quasi-officials. Others are upfront and say they're civilian but they can cut your processing time from several hours to a half hour.

Should you use them? I have no idea. Some said it greased the skids and they got through more quickly. Others said the guys took their money and disappeared. We elected to do it on our own. It took 2+ hours. Just stayed calm, politely and repeatedly refused offers of assistance from non-govt. officials, and only engaged with people in uniforms behind windows or desks. (What made this border particularly chaotic was that it was the first and only I've seen in my experience where these civilian touts were flowing freely from street into government offices, chatting with the officials, moving paperwork about, etc. It seemed pretty clear that there's some partnership and income sharing going on between the officials and the touts.)

But we never felt threatened or at risk, just hassled and confused. We made it through fine.

...And Vic Falls was worth all the hassle and more.

Enjoy!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kasane to Livingstone Boarder Crossing Info for both sides

Thanks for that info, very helpful and informative!

3. Re: Kasane to Livingstone Boarder Crossing Info for both sides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2017, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Kasane