We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Xiamen

Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Xiamen

We'll be travelling to Xiamen with our elderly mother & 2 teenagers for 6 days. Tentatively our plan is to visit Gulangyu, some sightseeing in Xiamen (probably some cycling at a park or the beach). Mum wants to spend 2 days with her relatives while kids want a relaxing break.

Is a day's visit to Gulangyu sufficient, would it be necessary to have an overnight stay? Do I need to engage a driver for sightseeing in Xiamen or is taxi easily assessible? Any other suggestions of activities to keep the teenagers occupied?

I'm hoping to stay at a place that will be convenient for sightseeing, easy to stroll around & explore nearby the hotel and preferably activities within the hotel. We've shortlisted our choice hotels to Marco Polo, Kempinski, Crown Plaza & Millennium. Would appreciate your input as to which of the hotels will best fit our needs.

Mentioned in this post
Xiamen
Xiamen
Fujian, China
Marco Polo Xiamen
Marco Polo Xiamen
728 Reviews
Xiamen, China
3 replies to this topic
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Xiamen

One day Gulangyu is enough. You can also visit the Tulou settlements, like Hong Keng, in the region (those round buildings) as a day trip. I think there are also options to stay a night.

Xiamen, China
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Xiamen

It's better to book a private car rather than call a taxi, some of the taxi drivers may drive you long way arround. For the private car, you can agree a price, then you can pay the driver when you finish the tour.

I used James Zhou's services in early April. He is not a guide but a staff in Xiamen University, and a part-time driver. Excellent English, very accommodating and a good grasp of Xiamen's history (I had read ahead and am pleased he knew his Xiamen!).

You can email him at lczhou@xmu.edu.cn

Mentioned in this post
Xiamen University
Xiamen University
1,204 Reviews
Xiamen, China
Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Xiamen