We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Xiamen

Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Xiamen

We'll be travelling to Xiamen with our elderly mother & 2 teenagers for 6 days. Tentatively our plan is to visit Gulangyu, some sightseeing in Xiamen (probably some cycling at a park or the beach). Mum wants to spend 2 days with her relatives while kids want a relaxing break.

Is a day's visit to Gulangyu sufficient, would it be necessary to have an overnight stay? Do I need to engage a driver for sightseeing in Xiamen or is taxi easily assessible? Any other suggestions of activities to keep the teenagers occupied?

I'm hoping to stay at a place that will be convenient for sightseeing, easy to stroll around & explore nearby the hotel and preferably activities within the hotel. We've shortlisted our choice hotels to Marco Polo, Kempinski, Crown Plaza & Millennium. Would appreciate your input as to which of the hotels will best fit our needs.

3 replies to this topic
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Xiamen

One day Gulangyu is enough. You can also visit the Tulou settlements, like Hong Keng, in the region (those round buildings) as a day trip. I think there are also options to stay a night.

Xiamen, China
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Xiamen

It's better to book a private car rather than call a taxi, some of the taxi drivers may drive you long way arround. For the private car, you can agree a price, then you can pay the driver when you finish the tour.

I used James Zhou's services in early April. He is not a guide but a staff in Xiamen University, and a part-time driver. Excellent English, very accommodating and a good grasp of Xiamen's history (I had read ahead and am pleased he knew his Xiamen!).

You can email him at lczhou@xmu.edu.cn

Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Xiamen

Thanks for all your advices

Reply to: 6 days in Xiamen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted