We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit 13 hours Xiamen airport

Level Contributor
133 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Transit 13 hours Xiamen airport

Hi guys, I am flying 23 april to bangkok with a transit in Xiamen airport of 13 hours.

I was wondering what I can do in those 13 hours.

Is it possible for me to go to the city? is it possible for me to get out of the airport? if yes what should I do or where should I go to entertain myself for 13 hours. I'm with my girlfriend.

Thanks guys!

20 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,775 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit 13 hours Xiamen airport

Yes you can leave the airport. What to do depends on time of day.

Level Contributor
133 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit 13 hours Xiamen airport

Hi jpdem, so I am arriving 5:30 am at xiamen and leaving at 6:30 pm again.

Is the city center nearby the airport? Are there malls nearby? Or is there anything else you think I should do in those 12 hours please let me know.

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit 13 hours Xiamen airport

Yes, Xiamen airport is quite close to downtown Xianmen. As you have almost a full day, then Gulang Island is recommended. Optional, you can take a day tour to visit Tulou cluster. And this tour may need you to book a private day tour to save time to reach airport within your limited time.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,775 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit 13 hours Xiamen airport

Close is a relative concept. You still need to take a taxi.

I would head to the waterfront and take the boat to Gulangyu. The tulou's would be rushing it.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,819 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit 13 hours Xiamen airport

Forget about the tulou. You do not have enough time to reliably get that distance and back. Stay in the city. I think Gulangyu is probably the best idea and with your early arrival, you should be able to get to the Dongdu ferry pier and over to Gulangyu before the big tourist rush, then start with the most popular areas and work your way to the western part of the island which is more residential. Gulangyu is hilly and you will need to be able to walk up and down hills, mostly on inclined streets rather than steps (it's a no-vehicle island). The older parts of downtown Xiamen are also reasonably interesting to walk in, after you leave Gulangyu. I'd just use taxis to get around between airport and city.

Level Contributor
133 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit 13 hours Xiamen airport

Thanks alot guys! Im going to do some research on the island.

I think I got another major very important question: as I am having an transit and spending 13 hours outside of the airport inside of china this probably means that I need chinese money as using euros or dollars prolly won't be of any use outside.

The question is how much money is enough for us two for 13 hours? Im not sure about the prices of everything and also the ferry for example. What is a right budget for 13 hours?

Munich, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit 13 hours Xiamen airport

Hello Hela, I am also transiting in September in Xiamen for 12 hours, I was wondering what did you decide to do and how did everything go?

Thanx a lot!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transit 13 hours Xiamen airport

You won't need that much money unless you plan on shopping for clothes because clothes are generally more expensive in Chinese malls. My review on Gulangyu's Island gives you a price rundown. There's also a Madame Tussauds (Chinese version) on the island. I didn't go in from memory it was $30 CNY.

Edited: 01 September 2016, 12:47
Community of...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Transit 13 hours Xiamen airport

hello, im also travelling via this airport with my 7 month baby, and we have 15h transit there.

so could you recomend us a nearly hotel to the airport?? and i understand we dont need a visa to go out from the airport?? im right??

thanks

St Helena, CA
Level Contributor
168 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transit 13 hours Xiamen airport

We stayed at the Fliport Xiamen Garden Hotel for a short layover. The room was a tiny bit shabby but clean and the property is lovely with a great breakfast.

Reply to: Transit 13 hours Xiamen airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted