We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Improperly denied boarding or not? China visa legal question

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Improperly denied boarding or not? China visa legal question

So I was denied boarding this morning by AirAsia for my KUL to SZX flight. I had a subsequent SZX to SEA flight that I then missed. They denied me boarding because I do not have the 10 year China visa. However earlier this month I had entered China through SZX on a 24 hr visa and entered Hong Kong within that time. No problems.

Now correct me if Im wrong but they improperly denied me boarding right? Not only did I not even need the transit Visa as I was staying within the international terminal but the 24hr transit Visa would have applied anyway.

The guy who denied me at the gate didn't know about the SZX 24 hr visa on arrival. Later at the help desk they tried spinning some web about them sending an email out at 4am asking for a transit Visa but I doubt their claim. Am I in the right and do I have any recourse?

25 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,957 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Improperly denied boarding or not? China visa legal question

Our information is not out of date. If what #16 reports is true, that he was able to fly from Seattle to Shenzhen with no visa, get through Immigration and out of the airport and take at train to Hong Kong, then either a bunch of Chinese officials at the airport and border crossing were sleeping at the switch, or something else was going on like a prearranged group transfer sponsored through a travel agency or the airline, so that this group including the OP had special one-time dispensation. First of all, you wouldn't have been able to board the plane in Seattle without a Chinese visa, unless something like this was the case. I also flatly don't believe that Shenzhen officials would throw open the borders of their own volition for a short test period, since that would get them in serious (as in career-ending or lethal) trouble. Especially not for US citizens.

OP, your story stretches our belief and it seems that you may be omitting some crucial details for what on the surface seems to be an illegal Shenzhen-HK connection and border crossing.

Edited: 06 July 2017, 22:08
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,408 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Improperly denied boarding or not? China visa legal question

We once entered China without any immigration and customs, don't recall details.

Flew into PEK on Air China from overseas, luggage went straight to Guangzhou. We spent couple hours in PEK first class lounge, then flew to Guangzhou on domestic, picked up luggage domestic, walked out. It was first class both flights, don't know if that made any difference, shouldn't, but it was what it was.

It was inconsequential to us, we have China visa anyway.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,954 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Improperly denied boarding or not? China visa legal question

Was it in the 1970's?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Improperly denied boarding or not? China visa legal question

Lo Wu station is just on the edge of Shenzhen a border check away, isn't it?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,957 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Improperly denied boarding or not? China visa legal question

#24 Michael, stop babbling about Lo Wu station. It is completely irrelevant to the entire point of the OP's discussion.

Reply to: Improperly denied boarding or not? China visa legal question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted