We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fingerprinting at Lo Wu

Vilnius, Lithuania
1 post
Save Topic
Fingerprinting at Lo Wu

Are foreigners fingerprinted at the Lo Wu checkpoint? What ways are there to get from Hong Kong to Shenzhen without being fingerprinted by Chinese authorities?

16 replies to this topic
Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
886 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fingerprinting at Lo Wu

I last crossed there two weeks ago. I was not, and never have been, fingerprinted. Of course that was two weeks ago.......

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,801 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fingerprinting at Lo Wu

What is the problem with getting finger printed? It happens in other countries as well.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fingerprinting at Lo Wu

Chinese immigration technology seems to be concentrating much more on voice and facial recognition; certainly they have their own specific camera in the Visa on Arrival office to take your photo.

But things there change from day to day ... just because they don't fingerprint today is no guarantee that they won't start doing it tomorrow ... same as nobody can guarantee that because one person of your nationality could get VoA today the next person will also obtain...

Welcome to the People's Republic of China!

Edited: 25 December 2017, 10:25
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fingerprinting at Lo Wu

The fingerprinting was announced some time ago but does not seems to be launched yet.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fingerprinting at Lo Wu

I had fingerprinting when came back into the US, and/or China, or was it Taiwan? I know US for sure. The type you put you thumbs into plates, no ink. It is not a “China Thing”. You shouldn’t worry about it unless you have something to hide, if it is a political or philosophical, just don’t go to China or the U.S.

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
886 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fingerprinting at Lo Wu

I use my thumb print to enter and exit Hong Kong, but not China.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
309 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fingerprinting at Lo Wu

There is since a short time a FP scanner at the border in Luohu, but seems not in use yet. The border controls getting more silly every month, so I guess it may come soon.

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
886 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fingerprinting at Lo Wu

Any idea why we have to scan our passports after the officer has already done so? When it started I thought it might be part of an automated entry system, but nothing changes and you don't scan on exit.

Vilnius, Lithuania
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Fingerprinting at Lo Wu

I have everything to hide. Nowadays it seems like the whole world is hungry for your biometrics. It reminds me of the WW2 where occupational forces issued IDs with fingerprints for citizens of conquered territories. It seems like we've adopted it as standard now, and nobody is even protesting. So much for "freedom".

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fingerprinting at Lo Wu

Everything to hide? Then you’d better stay home and not travel. You should get off the internet as well and get rid of your smart phone if you have one.

Reply to: Fingerprinting at Lo Wu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Shenzhen