We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week stay for wife and baby in Shenzhen. Tips

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
2 week stay for wife and baby in Shenzhen. Tips

I am travelling on business from London to Shenzhen and will take my wife and 3 month old baby with us on Jan 20.

We will be staying at the Marco Polo Hotel. On weekdays I will be spending most of the day at work so my wife and child will have most of the day to themselves. I was hoping if anyone had tips on how she can enjoy herself as she might get bored in the hotel for 2 weeks!

I know Coco Park is near the hotel. Are there any other tips you have on things they can do by themselves in the day time without having to go too far from hotel (as she will have a baby in a stroller to look after)?

Also for the weekend please let us know of what things we can enjoy. We will do Hong Kong for sure for at least a day.

Edited: 11 January 2018, 22:25
Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Marco Polo Shenzhen
Marco Polo Shenzhen
748 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
COCO Park
COCO Park
283 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
10 replies to this topic
Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week stay for wife and baby in Shenzhen. Tips

You seem to be suggesting that being close to Coco Park is a positive factor. The bits closest to the MP consist of of a string of noisy bars where young ladies and gentlemen get to know each other from the late evening till the early morning. No grass in Coco.

Really no bright ideas. For real parks there is Lianhua or Central. Plenty of shops though.

Mentioned in this post
COCO Park
COCO Park
283 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
London
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week stay for wife and baby in Shenzhen. Tips

From the choice of hotels I had Coco Park is a place my wife could walk into 'western' shops if she was bored so that is the reason that was chosen rather than for the greenery.

Mentioned in this post
COCO Park
COCO Park
283 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week stay for wife and baby in Shenzhen. Tips

Ok. If you go to Shopping Park metro, enter through Exit B and leave though Exit C you get to a big shopping mall.

Otherwise turn left after entering the station into Link City and walk through to Central Plaza which is another.

Mentioned in this post
Link City
Link City
90 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
Central Plaza
Central Plaza
92 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,615 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week stay for wife and baby in Shenzhen. Tips

I can't imagine being alone with a 3 month old baby in Shenzhen for 2 weeks. Frankly she'll have her hands full dealing with the long flight and getting proper baby nutrition and supplies, and far away from the baby's pediatrician. Wouldn't she rather stay home in London with the new baby?

Edited: 12 January 2018, 02:27
Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
London
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week stay for wife and baby in Shenzhen. Tips

The long flight is overnight each so hoping the baby will sleep through most of it as she does at home.

Baby nutrition is not an issue as she is breast feeding and supplies all I need to worry about is nappies/diapers.

I will be with her for breakfast, evenings and weekends so she won't be alone the whole time. It's just the day time they will be passing the time alone which they do anyway in London when I'm at work.

Baby's health is good but in case anything does come up I'll make sure to have contacts for a good doctor or hospital.

We have always travelled so don't want a baby to stop us experiencing new things.

Edited: 12 January 2018, 19:06
Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week stay for wife and baby in Shenzhen. Tips

In addition to the two close, large shopping malls I mentioned the parks are possible. The hotel will be able be able to get them to either by telling a taxi driver where to go, and they can get back by flashing a hotel name card to any taxi driver. Pay what it says on the meter.

Lianhua has kite flying on the meadow near the entrance, and a long push uphill gets you to the statue of Deng Xiaoping and a great view of the city on a rarish clear day

Central has a good flower market attached, so tell the hotel to take them there. There are sometimes art exhibitions in the park to the south of the market. Take the underpass next to the river.

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 week stay for wife and baby in Shenzhen. Tips

Thank you Mike for all of your detailed and practical advice. It's really appreciated.

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
5 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 week stay for wife and baby in Shenzhen. Tips

I am writing this from Shenzhen on the 53rd floor of my hotel and I can't even see the building across the street from the window because of the pollution. Today's air quality rating is "hazardous". If you bring a baby here (I am a father of 8 and I wouldn't) I would stay indoors as much as you can. Can't see a baby keeping a mask on and many/most adults and children are wearing them.

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Shenzhen, China
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 week stay for wife and baby in Shenzhen. Tips

hi,I am from Shenzhen, how old is your child. Why don't you let your wife and child has some short travelling in Shenzhen and nearby?

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 week stay for wife and baby in Shenzhen. Tips

They can visit some shopping malls and places easy to reach by underground. There is a supporting group for expats in Shenzhen that you can join if you have any other question. you can add me in wechat and I can add you to the group. My wechat id is SentioConsulting

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Reply to: 2 week stay for wife and baby in Shenzhen. Tips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted