We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency and WiFi tip

Westcliff-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
12 helpful votes
Currency and WiFi tip
Save

Just back from Hurghada. Two tips for anyone going

1. Euros, British pounds and US dollars are accepted everywhere (in that order of preference). Take lots of small notes as well. Non businesses can't change up coins in the banks so will ask tourists to change for them. This massively helps them out and gives you a supply of coins for tips too

2. WiFi in hotels is never great and often costs more to have in your room so get yourself a sim card at the airport. Mine was €6 for 10 GB. I then had data wherever I was, on the beach, out and about etc. Fabulous

6 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
23,147 posts
123 reviews
66 helpful votes
1. Re: Currency and WiFi tip
Save

I would agree with number @2 , but would suggest you change your Money using the ATMs and tip in Egyptian LE instead 👍🏽

Edited: 18 January 2023, 16:35
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
653 reviews
236 helpful votes
2. Re: Currency and WiFi tip
Save

Same as #1 change your hard currency into local currency please don’t tip in hard currency. Buy a local sim it’s cheap enough and reliable

Level Contributor
255 posts
151 reviews
122 helpful votes
3. Re: Currency and WiFi tip
Save

If you tip with foreign currency coins or small denomination foreign currency banknotes, you almost certainly have given an Egyptian something they cannot convert to Egyptian Pounds unless they find a friendly tourist to change it for them.

Follow Catherine's advice, tip in local currency.

West Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for El Gouna, Hurghada
Level Contributor
6,683 posts
264 reviews
160 helpful votes
4. Re: Currency and WiFi tip
Save

Ditto #1 Clint.

Change money into egp once in Egypt. Easy to do at an atm.

Locals want their currency, not others where they've got to try and change to egp plus get bad rates on.

We wouldn't want tips in egp or euros or dollars I'm uk, we'd want £.

Keep locals happy, pay them in egp.

If buy data sim make sure phone or dongle is unlocked.

Edited: 18 January 2023, 20:06
Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
36 reviews
40 helpful votes
5. Re: Currency and WiFi tip
Save

The first ‘tip’ is nonsense:

“Non businesses can't change up coins in the banks so will ask tourists to change for them. This massively helps them out and gives you a supply of coins for tips too“

OP says (rightly) that they can’t change coins, yet goes on to suggest that you get lots of ......coins for tips!

Tip in EGP money - it’s what Egyptians use!!

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
17 reviews
19 helpful votes
6. Re: Currency and WiFi tip
Save

You get staff asking you to change £1 coins to either an English note or Egyptian………you want to help but if you do you’ll be asked by others and before you know it you’ve got half a ton of coins to take home. It’s a bit of a pain (first world problems, I know). As has been said above, just tip in Egyptian.

Boat trips, golf etc often priced in Euro or GBP.

Reply to: Currency and WiFi tip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hurghada
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.