We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Babi Guling and other food recommendation

Singapore
Level Contributor
328 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Babi Guling and other food recommendation

Hi,

Does anyone knows where can i get to try bali's famous babi guling or other authentic balinese food? Any guide on the local 'Night Market' where i can get lots of local foods n snacks?

Thanks...

Cheers,

Joseph

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Babi Guling and other food recommendation

Hi,

Go to Ibu Oka in Ubud. If you just type Inside Ubud in the search engine, go to the link on Dining Options. Whole list of makan places for you. FYI, Anthony Bordain went there and loved it...but then he is a "pork person". Avoid the toilets though....

Another good place is Bumbu Bali in the south, but it's not cheap.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Babi Guling and other food recommendation

Yes Ibu Oka's babi guling is definitely the most well-known place for the local speciality and also the best with still the authentic spices. Nowhere have I tried the bali guling prepared more exquisitely than at Ibu Oka's in Ubud. (I lived in Bali for 6 years) It's opposite the palace and anyone you ask can show you the location.

Where will you be staying in Bali- it's a pretty big island!! Will try to give you some other recommendations if you let me know which part of the island you'll be staying at.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Babi Guling and other food recommendation

Ibu Oka is pretty good but if you do visit, I would advise that you sit on a chair instead of on the straw mats they have. The last time I was there I ended up with 20 over insect bites from sitting on the straw mats. It's also a pretty smallish place so do go early (about 11.30am to 12).

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Babi Guling and other food recommendation

Good advice snowrose. Just a note, Ibu Oka only serves lunch.

Singapore
Level Contributor
328 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Babi Guling and other food recommendation

I'm a fan of hotel stay, so i'll be staying in 4 different places over 7 days. Haha... Kuta, Seminyak, Jimbaran and Tanjoung Benoa. Taking Ubud as tour instead of staying over. I guess Bali is too big to cover in a week. But will definitely plan another trip to see more of Bali. Also any good massage/spa to recommend?

germany
Level Contributor
140 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Babi Guling and other food recommendation

Bebek betutu!!! hmmm yummy.... duck with a lot of spices and coooked for 24 hours, make sure you order it the day before!

Denpasar
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Babi Guling and other food recommendation

you can try gemah ripah, or handayani

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Babi Guling and other food recommendation

Warung Murah and Warung Melati.. both on Double Six road in Seminyak, have fabulous and cheap indonesian food. Also Warung Gossip in Kerobokan.Lunches only

There is also a food night market on sunset road near the new Carrefour supermarket.

Selamat Makan!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
328 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Babi Guling and other food recommendation

Hi Wayanrobi,

Is gemah ripah and handayani a type of food or the name of a restaurant?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Babi Guling and other food recommendation

Check out www.balieats.com and www.balispaguide.com

They are both written and reviewed by a resident expat who writes a local newspaper food/restaurant review column and has lived in Bali for many years with an intimate knowledge of the food and people.