We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcano ash

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Volcano ash

Hi has anyone had issues with volcano ash in Sanur since the eruption?

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
12 replies to this topic
Toledo, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Toledo
Level Contributor
315 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volcano ash

I'm here in Sanur now and have been since the 29th. No ash to be seen on the ground. When you look at Agung, you can see ash hovering in the air around it but I have not had any negative effects from it. And the ash was much thicker around it on the 29th than when I saw it yesterday.

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
21,692 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volcano ash

I have a Balinese friend who lives and works in Sanur and she has told me that the only impact they've experienced is a huge drop in the number of tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Toledo, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Toledo
Level Contributor
315 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volcano ash

I can totally vouch for that, travelcat. This place is so empty of tourists!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
21,692 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volcano ash

It is so sad. I feel for the locals who are all very worried about their livelihoods and don't know how long this will last.

sebastopol, ca
Level Contributor
30 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volcano ash

Was just there. I know that the ash is very dangerous because it is "sharp" at the microscopic level. We noticed coughing but didn't seem serious. I got an eye infection, which I think was from the dryness/ash. Treated with antibiotic drops from the pharmacy over there.

Didn't realize how much ash was in the air until our host actually pointed out the very thin layer of dust on otherwise clean surfaces. My fingers came up gray if I rubbed them along flat surfaces.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Volcano ash

Thanks all for the feedback. We will be travelling with young children and a baby and want to be sure that there are no possible health risks from the ash.

Any further feedback on the recent ash level in Sanur and any noticeable health impacts would be helpful

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Toledo, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Toledo
Level Contributor
315 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Volcano ash

We left Sanur 24hrs ago, after spending the last 7 days there.

We experienced NO VOLCANO EFFECTS OF ANY KIND while in Sanur.

No ash on ground, no local haze in breathable air, no odor, nothing.

While the media is reporting the situation as dangerous, and it could be if living on the mountainside, Sanur is very normal and a very safe distance from Mt. Agung.

While here, the activity of the mountain has DECREASED each day and more and more flights have resumed.

If you have the financial means to come to Bali, please come. The local economy is desperately dependent on tourism and the sensationalized media reporting is not accurate regarding the real world, on the ground reality. The financial strain being felt here is obvious.

This is a slow time for tourism, generally speaking, and the daily loss of tourism income is very blatant and unfortunate.

If anything, this is a great time to be in Bali as prices are more flexible than normal due to the low volume of tourists.

In the event that Mount Agung reawakens, you may want to consider travel insurance. Otherwise, this place is paradise.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Agung
Mount Agung
417 Reviews
Bali, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Volcano ash

Thanks for the reply guys..I think there are many travellers (me included) who are not sure what to do..

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Volcano ash

Chris,

You need to make the decision based on the facts and your assessment of the risk.

Speak to your doctor about the risk to the childrens health.

Lets face it. You are NOT going to get a truly honest answer from a local who has a vested interest in you still coming.

Some say no ash, some say yes fine ash on surfaces. If it is on surfaces it is in the air. You may not see it (and it will depend on whether you want too). Silicosis, which the ash can cause, is a condition that takes a long time to develop as the body response to the very fine sharp particles lodged in the lungs. The children may show no signs while there of any irritation at all. Doesnt mean they are not at risk.

At a minimum, while the threat is ongoing, masks graded P3 or higher should be worn. Only examining the filters will tell you if they are effective/justified.

The fact that you are enquiring would indicate that you have concerns, which are valid and anyone with the responsibility for the health of children should. Discuss this with a HEALTH professional.

The cost/loss of cancelling should be the last consideration in this instance.

The health of your kids is foremost.

Other things to consider. Are you prepared for the event of the volcano fully erupting while you are here if you come? This would likely affect not only travel plans and air quality, but water and food supplies too. Could you move your family and cope with the stress of long uncertain extra journeys to get to a safe evacuation point? Do you have access to the extra finance needed if you are stuck etc. etc?

Not a travel agent or travel forum.

Too many of us have a bias and sympathy which affects our opinions.

We ourselves are much older , regular visitors who will keep traveling ( with our masks), but I would not be happy for any of my grandchildren to do the same at the moment. They after all have plenty of time for a vacation to Bali in any of their many future years.

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Volcano ash

Great response Famwood..