We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I the only one that feels Ubud is losing its charm?

Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Am I the only one that feels Ubud is losing its charm?

I've been to Bali nine times in the past nine years. The past three years we've stayed away from Ubud because its become overrun by Mainland tourists. In some ways now its worse than Kuta because the area is smaller and the crowds really press in along the main drags, especially Monkey Forest Road. This is too bad because Ubud used to be such a wonderfully peaceful place to escape the crowds of Kuta.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Perth
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Am I the only one that feels Ubud is losing its charm?

Difficult to add anything of value to what ubudpuppy has posted - she really hit all the bases. I particularly endorse the comment that Ubud is an area and downtown in business day hours is no longer representative of it. One segment of Monkey Forest Rd (around the football field area) has also lost it at night and the town fathers need to enforce the lighting rules on the garish illuminated signs and daylight fluorescent lighted shops. Seems like a couple of brand name clothing distributors have exempted themselves. As for the 9:30 am to 6:00 pm period, the town has improved the bus situation but the streets are just plain overcrowded and best avoided by anybody seeking the authentic Ubud experience.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Am I the only one that feels Ubud is losing its charm?

I try to enjoy what is still amazing about Ubud

Perth
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Am I the only one that feels Ubud is losing its charm?

And it's still amazing. The problem area is literally a pimple on a pumpkin - just wish they would squeeze the zit.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Am I the only one that feels Ubud is losing its charm?

30 years ago Ubud had the meanest wild dogs on the planet!

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
931 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Am I the only one that feels Ubud is losing its charm?

Happy to report that there are still some mean dogs out there :)

Love the centre at night and 6-9am, I prefer small hotels in the centre and there are some really fine restaurants and bars, dinner at one, dessert at another, drinks at another once the kids have gone to bed. During the day we hang out at the hotel for a few swims and take little side trips around the outskirts of Ubud where it is still beautiful. I have a GPS this year so plan to go on random walkabouts and non-guided get slightly lost bike rides.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Am I the only one that feels Ubud is losing its charm?

Haha, these days the dogs look pretty healthy and well loved. :)

They used to hunt in packs years ago, scary s**t. :)

17. Re: Am I the only one that feels Ubud is losing its charm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 14:27