We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bandung Family Trip Report (29Dec11-04Jan12)

Which Bandung hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Level Contributor
36 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Bandung Family Trip Report (29Dec11-04Jan12)

We arrived Bandara Husein Sastranegara Airport on 29Dec11 at 4.35pm. Queued for almost an hour to get the Immigration and Custom clearance. There were only 2 counters opened. The entrance hall was so crowded and stuffy. There were 3 flights landed one after another and the queue continues till outside the hall.

Greeted by Pak Mail frm Zafira Car Rental which is reliable,cheap,friendly n helpful supir/ tour guide. Safe all the hassle.

www.zafiracar.com Tel : +6281320028484 Tarmidzi Yusuf (Pak Tam)

Checked-in at POP Hotel. And yes as been said by our experts in this forum, this hotel is way far from other parts of Bandung. Took about 40mins plus ‘macet’ to arrive. Though it looks so colorful on the exterior and the interior, the rooms is too small. The bathroom en toilet is just like the one in the flight.

Had dinner at Karamba..a Sundanese Bistro at Jl. Sultan Tirtayasa No26, Tel: (022)76766679.

Telur Peda (salted fish omelette) and Otak-Otak were so tasty.

30Dec11~ Tangkuban Perahu.

Entrance fee: Foreigner-Rp50,000 4 wheel vehicle-Rp15,000

Family members has been alert on peddlers/touts. A gentle smile and No,thank you really helps. And we are free to walk around and take photos. I walked to the Information office and choose to take the family package to Kawah Domas. It’s a damaged of Rp400,000 but I guess it’s worth. If you choose the Rp250,000-00, time is limited to only 2 hrs whereby additional hours will be charged accordingly. The walking to the 2nd crater itself took us more than half an hour. Unless you just walk without looking around and appreciates the natures. So, for the sum I paid, we can spend up to no time limit down there. 1st stop i purchased some Kayu Batek wood that has been carved into shape of glass which can be use as herbal treatment. We stopped for bakso at the only coffee shop down there. Then we start exploring Kawah Domas. While me and my mum did the mud massage therapy on our legs and arms, my 3 girls went climbing to the crystal rock on the other side of the crater. Going back upward is tiring for my mum aged 65. Make sure you are fit to walk up and down the mountain. Just for info, the family package inclusive of tour guide/free hand and leg massage/free 2 bottles of mud (take home).

Stopped for lunch at Balibu at Jl Tangkuban Perahu, 432A Lembang, Tel: (022)2789582. Its Sundanese culinaire. Resto is just by the roadside. Recommended by our tour guide at the crater. Clean and nice. Good food at reasonable price. Liked the Sate Kambing. Also tried the Karedok (fresh mixed veg mixed wth groundnuts sauce).

Stopped by some tea plantations for photo shoot.

Continued to next stop and had tea at Sapu Lidi- Jl. Sersan Bajuri, Lembang. Tel: (022)2786461. It’s an amazing place with beautiful and peaceful surrounding. Wanted to relax in the hut on the stream but section already closed coz it’s getting darker. So we choose the hut in the padi field. A very unique dining experience. Even the washrooms are also unique. Surprisingly no mosquitoes. Shall come here again to get the feel and experience that I missed.

31Dec11~Shopping at Pasar Baru.

Was there as early as 9.45am as advised on TA. It gets crowded by noon. Had lunch on the 6th floor, BungaPadi Raya Masakan Padang. Bought some nice lace materials for functions wear at Angel Textile, Lt 2, Blok B1, No 12G. It’s so cheap n nice compared to KL. Not forgetting some Bandung embroidered ‘kebaya’ and ‘kurung’ materials, full embroidered ‘telekung’ (for muslims ladies prayer wear) which comes a set with a very nice handbag and prayer mat. The seller quote me Rp600,000. Got it for Rp450,000 after using my bargaining skill. (u can’t bargain so much at this place). If you are looking for Bandung t-shirts..get it here. The price is cheaper than outside. My girls bought some for their friends.

Procced to some FO’s ie Central Fashion/Glamour/Raffles City. Though we tried to leave the city early @ 7.30pm, we are still caught in the traffic jam due to the new year’s celebration on the midnight. Really it was so lively and colorful that midnight with fireworks everywhere in the air.

01Jan12~Checked-in at Amaroosa Hotel for our last 3 nights.

What a lovely and classic boutique hotel. Should have booked earlier to get the whole stretch of stay. (read more on my review plus photos).

Supposed to go to Angklung Udjo but my girls wanna do more shopping. Skipped the Angklung. Head to Toko Tiga for some Levis. Then went to look for Vintage Chic Home Spa. Found it but unfortunately that spa has closed down. The house has turned to a local pack food supplier base. (got the address n recommendation from one of the forumers thread here). It’s a waste of time. Had Nasi Padang lunch at RM Braga Jaya, Jl Braga No.25. Not so nice. Continued shopping at Rumah Mode/Rich & Famous/The Secret.

Dinner ~ Nanny’s Pavillon at Jl RE Martadinata Tel: (022)91752373

I had made an early reservation here to celebrate the new year in conjunction with my husband’s birthday. Brought the Black Forest cake in (with permission) which I bought from Kartika Sari. We love the pastas and desserts.Try the Mom”s Green Spaghetti, Blueberry CheeseRoll Pancake, Black Crunchy Caramel Pancake. Marvellous! (Thanks to ck-mal on your review and recommendations)

02Jan12 ~ Taman Safari

Entrance fee: Adult Local-Rp85,000 Adult Foreign-Rp150,000 Child Local-Rp70,000 Child Foreign-Rp130,000 Motorcycle-Rp5,000

4 wheel vehicle-Rp15,000 6 wheel vehicle-Rp20,000

Though it’s Monday, still a Public Holiday and heavy traffic is expected. Leave hotel at 8.30am and reached at 1.30pm. We met a local guy whom offers to take us through the short cut (estate road). Paid him Rp50,000 and in 15mins we are right infront of the entrance of the park. ( Might spend another hour if we joined the traffic queue).

My girls enjoyed feeding the animals from the car. We also watched the cowboy live show. Interesting and you shouldn’t miss

the show.

03Jan12 ~ Kawah Putih

Entrance fee: Foreigner-Rp30,000 4wheel vehicle-Rp150,000 Chartered Shuttle-Rp120,000.

I love the journey to this place compared to the north Bandung. Beautiful sceneries of padi fields, tea plantations and strawberry farms on rolling hills all along the way to Ciwidey. We enjoyed breathing the cooling and fresh air. Kawah Putih is totally different look of crater than Kawah Ratu/Kawah Domas in Tangkuban Perahu. Such a magnificient view. Took some shots of course. Unfortunately it rains and we are asked to leave the crater for safety reason.

Stopped at Saung Gawir for lunch. It’s just on the left by the roadside on your way out from Kawah Putih.

Chk this out - www.facebook.com/saunggawirresto.ciwidey.

There are a lot of Rumah Makan Sunda here. But this is the best Sunda meals we had throughout our stay in Bandung. Ordered a bowl of ‘Sup Buntut’ and another additional bowl since the 1st bowl finished before we could eat with the rice. Price are reasonable.

After having lunch, we went down to the strawberry farm. Plucked while photo shooting. What an experience! Since it’s still raining, we cancelled our plan to Lake Situ Patengan. And back to town for a final round of shopping. While the rest choose to shop at FO’s ie Rumah Mode/ Gossip/Grande and Edward Forrer…I prefer to end it with a Full Body Bliss Massage at the Akar Natural Spa at Jl Ir.H.Juanda No.113 Tel:(022)92236944. It only cost me Rp120,000 for 90mins. It’s so relaxing after all the moving around non stop.

Finally, we decided to just have our last and final dinner at the beautiful hotel we stayed. Again we go for A-La-Carte and yes we loved it. Tasty foods,cosy and classic ambience plus warm friendly staff everywhere in the hotel.

That’s a complete holiday I guess and would like to thank the experts and few friends that I’v contacted through inbox. Thanks again for all the guide and advice given and for making this trip a success and most of all everyone in the family enjoyed it. Sure will come back again.

1. Re: Bandung Family Trip Report (29Dec11-04Jan12)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 November 2012, 00:47
Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bandung Family Trip Report (29Dec11-04Jan12)

Hi,

Sounds like you had a great time. Pity you were unable to visit the Angklung Centre. That is really a treat. One of the best things to do in Bandung IMHO.

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bandung Family Trip Report (29Dec11-04Jan12)

Great JBR Tuneja.. at least it is not about your detailed account of FO shopping only..

Regarding the guide fee in Kawah Domas.. You have to pay only Rp 250,000 or even less for it.. the thing about telling you to pay Rp 400,000 and you can have more time.. they are just trying to rip you off!! There's no such thing as the extra charge.. but I don't know if that's the new policy now.. Insist on paying Rp 250,000 the next time you come back..

Because they didn't ask that 1 year ago.. But that's alright.. glad that you report this to us so that warnings can be given next time.. Really appreciate that..

OMG!! You just encountered the same encounter as me Tuneja.. haha... went to Kawah Putih yesterday and it war raining very heavily.. Grrr!!

Glad that you enjoy the trip and I love reading your post!

Cheers :)

Edited: 11 January 2012, 09:45
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,831 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bandung Family Trip Report (29Dec11-04Jan12)

Hey there,

Great JBR Tuneja..

It`s my ultimate pleasure to have you back with MISSION accomplished.

Glad to hear that your trip was a success and your family enjoyed it at full.

come back one time or another.

cheers

Schonefeld

Putrajaya, Malaysia
Level Contributor
36 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bandung Family Trip Report (29Dec11-04Jan12)

Hi Lilian,

Thanks for reading it. It's just a share of experience.

Pls chk ur email.

Thank you.

Edited: 11 January 2012, 14:29
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Level Contributor
36 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bandung Family Trip Report (29Dec11-04Jan12)

Hi everyone!

Yesss...We really had a great time in Bandung.

craneboywill ~ Angklung Udjo will definitely not to be missed for the nxt trip.

Stefzzz ~ Yeah...I think i've been ripped off too at Kawah Domas. ..But..it's alright as long as everyone is happy. Would love to come back for Kawah Putih and Saung Gawir.

Schonefeld ~ M sure to come back again,thanks.

Cheers.. :=)

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bandung Family Trip Report (29Dec11-04Jan12)

<<But..it's alright as long as everyone is happy. Would love to come back for Kawah Putih and Saung Gawir.>>

Glad to hear that you are happy despite of the debacle.. come back during the dry season for less rain.. Would love to hear you back here..

Cheers.. :)

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,231 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bandung Family Trip Report (29Dec11-04Jan12)

Great JBR

Thank for sharing

Cheers

Putrajaya, Malaysia
Level Contributor
36 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bandung Family Trip Report (29Dec11-04Jan12)

Thanks Stefzzz and sharing is caring right leopang?

cheers :))

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,231 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bandung Family Trip Report (29Dec11-04Jan12)

Yes ,absolutely right