We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bandung Itinerary for girlfriend trip

Which Bandung hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bandung Itinerary for girlfriend trip

Hi

We are a group of 10 females visiting Bandung for the first time. It's our girlfriend annual trip - perfect excuse to ditch our husbands and kids for a few days:-} We will arrive early morning of May 30th and depart morning of June 3rd. Am thinking to get a driver + van for either 3 or 4 full days. Here's my preliminary itinerary and will appreciate any input from you guys. Here goes ...

May 30 (Wed)

early arrival and pick-up from Bandung Airport

Kawah Putih, Situ Patengan and Ciwidey

evening shopping possible??

May 31 (Thu)

Tangkuban Perahu (noted that we should avoid going down to the crater) and vicinity

Saung Angklung Udjo

evening shopping again?

June 1 (Fri) - not sure about this one

Garut?

Leather shopping at this place near Garut?

massage

June 2 (Sat) - full day shopping

Rumah Mode

Secret

Pasar Besar

etc

June 3 (Sun) - early departure

Questions :

1. Do we need the driver + van for June 2? Or does it make more sense for us to find a hotel near the shopping district and just walk till we drop that day?

2. Considering we'll be spending our evening shopping, where will be a good location to base ourselves. i.e. hotel?

3. Not really sure about itinerary for June 1st. Personally I will love to explore Papandayan but not everyone in the group is into hiking. Not sure if it's worth going all the way to Garut if it' not for the outdoor and another volcano. If we drop Garut and do 2 days in Bandung city, is there any other activity to do besides shopping? Cooking class?

4. I know recommendation is not allowed in this forum but am not getting much traction looking for a nice and professional urut and spa place Yes, most hotels will have this service but we'll like to know other options available too. Leads anyone?

5. We'll like to have a couple of nice meals. Preferably authentic Sundanese fare that the locals or the city folks from Jakarta would flock to. I cannot find anything online so have to resort to this ... recommendation please?

6. If we were to go to just one distro shopping venue, where would that be?

7. What is a good time to visit Paris Van Java? Evening or day time?

8. I have read much about traffic jams and noise over the weekend. Will it be better to do our shopping first (May 30) and get out of the city during the weekend?

Thanks much.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bandung Itinerary for girlfriend trip

1. Do we need the driver + van for June 2? Or does it make more sense for us to find a hotel near the shopping district and just walk till we drop that day?

With 10 people travelling together, I think it's more feasible for your group to hire the van for the whole duration of your trip.

2. Considering we'll be spending our evening shopping, where will be a good location to base ourselves. i.e. hotel?

Jalan Setiabudi area is decent or find some place at Jalan Cihampelas. Jalan Riau is another top spot to stay for shopping area. It's all depending on your budget.

3. Not really sure about itinerary for June 1st. Personally I will love to explore Papandayan but not everyone in the group is into hiking. Not sure if it's worth going all the way to Garut if it' not for the outdoor and another volcano. If we drop Garut and do 2 days in Bandung city, is there any other activity to do besides shopping? Cooking class?

No cooking classes. It would be better to reschedule a visit to Saung Angklung Udjo either on June 1 or June 2. For May 31st, from Tangkuban Perahu you can have a side trip to lembang, visiting strawberry farms or restaurants with view around the area. After that, visit FOs at Setiabudi area (e.g. Rumah Mode).

If you're not going to Garut, you can have city tour visiting few museums and historical building (if the group is into culture and architecture).

5. We'll like to have a couple of nice meals. Preferably authentic Sundanese fare that the locals or the city folks from Jakarta would flock to. I cannot find anything online so have to resort to this ... recommendation please?

For snacks to take back home, head to Kartika Sari, Maya Sari, Toko Kue Bawean which sell snacks such as pisang molen, pastries, picnic roll, etc.

Sundanese restaurants are major highlights when you're visiting Bandung. For Sundanese fare with a theme, visit Sapu Lidi http://sapulidisawah.com/menu.php Bumbu Desa is a chain Sundanese restaurant which has branches internationally (but it's a bit overrated IMO). Saung Kabayan and Sindang Reret are also favourites for Sundanese fare.

Other than Sundanese food, Bandung has a lot of unique street food that you can try (even lots of restaurant also serving the dish) such as batagor (I recommend Kingsley at Jalan Veteran), bakso tahu, lotek, etc.

6. If we were to go to just one distro shopping venue, where would that be?

This one is rather hard to answer as different distro will house different label (not like FOs whereby they stock items from few labels). Also, distro location is scattered throughout the city, but you can find few are lining at Jalan Trunojoyo (still, use car to explore from one to another rather than walking because you'll never know how far you will have to walk from one to another).

7. What is a good time to visit Paris Van Java? Evening or day time?

It's a shopping mall which open from 10am to 10pm. So you can visit at your convenience timing

8. I have read much about traffic jams and noise over the weekend. Will it be better to do our shopping first (May 30) and get out of the city during the weekend?

It makes no difference as attractions outside the city will also be packed with domestic tourists during weekend. Go shopping on weekend is more recommended.

bandung
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bandung Itinerary for girlfriend trip

This link might help u..because u r talking about bandung and garut trip..

tripadvisor.com/…36794210

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bandung Itinerary for girlfriend trip

I will second to Cirque's advice but these are some additional information that you may like to consider.. Overall, your itinerary is pretty much well-planned..

1) Yes, you still can shop after your trip from Kawah Putih if you still have the energy.. The trip is approx 2 1/2 hours each way from Bandung..

2) Most times will be fine when you want to go to Paris Van Java.. But the traffic around the area is super horrible on saturday night.. Something that I will avoid..

3) Definitely better to do your volcano sightseeing on the weekdays instead.. Unless you want to go there super early..

4) Will give Garut a miss if your group is not into trekking in mt Papandayan.. You should check the volcanic activities though if you still insist..

5) My favourite street in Bandung will be Cihampelas for staying, but other opinions may differ.. Very convenient location but FO shopping is not prime here though.. There are other department stores to keep you happy though..

Have a look at Sensa hotel if your budget fits.. If not, then have a look at Aston Tropicana and Amaris Cihampelas.. But if FO shopping is on your prime list, Amaris Cimanuk may be a better choice at jln Riau..

Hope this helps..:)

indonesia
Level Contributor
189 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bandung Itinerary for girlfriend trip

Hi jayjayzz,

From my experience with girl trips, it's easier to stay near shopping district so we dont need to always go together because sometime someone like to see more clothes,another one like shoes etc. So, if you are planning to see a lot of FO at night, it's better to stay in jalan riau. At night you can scatter to different FO and get together again for dinner. And if someone already tired, she can come back to hotel by herself

Btw, if this's relaxing vacation, i dont recommend to go to garut for a day trip especially not all of you into hiking. It'll be exhausting.

Actually, there's cooking class in bandung in jalan naripan but the language in indonesia.

How much is your budget for spa? There's a lot of spa and message in bandung from very cheap to very expensive one.

For sundanese food, You can try sindang reret or sapu lidi while travelling to lembang. In bandung city, there's a new place that seems popular lately. The place call Daun(it's different with kampung daun in lembang). The location is in front of Pusdai mosque at jalan diponegoro. The place popular because instead use plate, they use banana leaf as plate.

There's Ampera at jalan citarum and sambara at jalan trunojoyo. Ampera, bumbu desa and sambara are chain restaurant and more like fast food sundanese restaurant. There's also d'palm resto in jalan lombok. The atmopshere is quite good because you can eat in 'saung' aka small house and below it,there is a pool for fish.(i'm not sure if i describe it in right way)

7. If you want to hang out and want to see local people, then visit PVJ at afternoon or night in weekday and anytime at sat and sunday althought i'm not recommend to visit sat night. If you insist to come at sat night, better arrive before 6pm otherwise you'll be stuck in traffic :)

Hope you'll have fun in bandung and come back with full energy

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
49,466 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bandung Itinerary for girlfriend trip

hey there,

1/ YES, hire a van with local driver for the whole stay.

2/ May 30 (Wed) in your plan sounds like total madness. I would recommend ON THE DAY of arrival to relax, familiarize yourself with the hotel, city, surrounding and some shopping. Do not venture outside of the city.

3/ fot the first-timer, Garut and Papandayan is WAY TOO MUCH, especially if you plan to do TWO volcano sights already. Better allocate June 1 (Fri) as a whole day of shopping.

4/ <<ill be a good location to base ourselves. i.e. hotel?>>

Budget/ room/ night??? Please...............

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bandung Itinerary for girlfriend trip

Gee.. thanks so much for your all input. Really appreciate it.

The majority would rather have a relaxing holiday. Will drop Garut and use the van for the entire trip.

Got a quotation for 14 seater Isuzu Elf at IDR750k/day. Alternatively, a standard 4 day package with planned itinerary is IDR449K/pax incl entrance fees. The difference is IDR149K/pax for the entire trip. Does this pretty much cover the entrance fees?

Here's my updated itinerary :

May 30 (Wed)

early arrival and pick-up from Bandung Airport

Kawah Putih, Situ Patengan and Ciwidey

evening shopping possible??

May 31 (Thu)

Tangkuban Perahu (noted that we should avoid going down to the crater) and vicinity

Lembang

Rumah Mode

FO along Jalan Setiabudi

June 1 (Fri) - Bandung city

Saung Angklung Udjo

city tour - architecture and museums

urut/massage - any recommendations?

June 2 (Sat) - Bandung city

FOs

Secret

Pasar Besar

etc

Some of us can afford Hilton budget while a couple would rather not splurge. I suppose a clean, hospitable establishment at a good location will do. Am open to hotel, b&b or apartment. Will some research on your feedback on the locations.

Wow, there are so options for great food and we only have so few meals.

@lia_indo, thanks for the lead on the cooking workshop along Jalan Naripan. No problem with Bahasa. Google led me to Ny Liem. Will have a look at this but must say am disappointed it does not offer courses on savoury Sundanese dishes.

indonesia
Level Contributor
189 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bandung Itinerary for girlfriend trip

Hi jayjayzz,

That's right, Ny Liem did not offer courses on savoury Sundanese dishes but Indonesia food in general. Sorry cant help you more about cooking class

Remember to check show time in saung udjo, so you can plan your itinerary better

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bandung Itinerary for girlfriend trip

I told you before that there is no cooking class in Bandung that specifically cater to Sundanese food for tourists purpose (i.e. short courses for a day).

Remarks on your updated itinerary:

May 30 - only go shopping if you still have energy (remember to save up some as this is only the beginning of your trip) - discuss with other girls if they still up for shopping, otherwise just find some place to hang out and have a meal.

<<Wow, there are so options for great food and we only have so few meals. >>

Besides shopping, people flock to Bandung to do culinary tour as well...

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bandung Itinerary for girlfriend trip

Hi,

If you do eventually stay on Jln Rhiau, make your way to the Taman Pramuka (Scouts Camp). Its about 500m along Jn Riau from Heritage, in the direction opposite to Dago.

Circling the camp grounds are about 20 restaurants. These include crispy roast duck, Mie Jawa, and other culinary highlights of Bandung. Its a pity that few foreign tourists have discovered this scrumptious enclave. It is very popular with Jakartans, and locals of course.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bandung Itinerary for girlfriend trip

@lia_indo - thanks for the reminder to check peformance schedule

@cirque, point taken and appreciated.

@craneboywill - thanks. Love mie jawa. Am drooling as I type.

So looking forward to discover Bandung's culinary delights.