We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Carlsbad Caverns: stay in Artesia or Carlsbad?

Caliornia
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Carlsbad Caverns: stay in Artesia or Carlsbad?

My husband says that Artesia has more atmosphere than Carlsbad (city). anybody have any comments on this?

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Carlsbad Caverns: stay in Artesia or Carlsbad?

If you mean by atmosphere fumes from the refinery than yes Artesia has more atmosphere.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Carlsbad Caverns: stay in Artesia or Carlsbad?

Atmosphere as in the stench from the refinery. Don't stay in Artesia, stay in Carlsbad.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Carlsbad Caverns: stay in Artesia or Carlsbad?

The sculptures along Artesia's main street are really worth seeing, and it's a nice little town. However, staying in Carlsbad is much closer to the Caverns. It's only about a half hour drive from Carlsbad to the Caverns, staying in Artesia would add about 3/4 of an hour to that drive.

Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
898 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Carlsbad Caverns: stay in Artesia or Carlsbad?

And the stockyards! Don't forget the atmosphere (pollution) from the stockyards!

Seriously, stay in Carlsbad. Artesia has made considerable strides in improving its "atmosphere," both cultural and meteorologijcal, but the 45 minutes' driving time difference more than compensates.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
794 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Carlsbad Caverns: stay in Artesia or Carlsbad?

You can even stay in Roswell if I'm perfectly honest.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,294 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Carlsbad Caverns: stay in Artesia or Carlsbad?

None of the above ... Lodge atWhite's City ... Park's entrance ... happy trails ... carracar

Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Carlsbad Caverns: stay in Artesia or Carlsbad?

My vote is Artesia. Peaceful & small downtown area make this place very pleasant. And the hotel costs are about 1/3 the price than in Carlsbad. Went to Sitting Bull Falls one day & the Caverns the next. It is not that long of a drive once you get out of the congested roads of Carlsbad.

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Carlsbad Caverns: stay in Artesia or Carlsbad?

Might as well add my question to this...

Last time I checked (it's been a year or two), the hotel prices in Carlsbad were insanely expensive. Through some research I realized that the surrounding area had become an oil boom place, hence the cost (oil companies have no problem paying it).

When I did my research, I saw that hotels in Roswell were only about $100 per night (Carlsbad was about $300). I will obviously re-check as my info may be outdated and no longer relevant/current, but I will be in Carlsbad area during my 6/12 - 6/19 trip....and was planning to stay in Roswell.

I am watching for other ideas about where to stay.

Thanks!

Caliornia
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Carlsbad Caverns: stay in Artesia or Carlsbad?

Thanks for all the input. We spent one night in Artesia - and it is a cute town. Oil smell was not noticeable. Had some character and some good restaurants. Then we spent 2 nights in Carlsbad - one in an awful hotel and then a better one. Not much character here, but it was enough closer to make it worthwhile. Also some decent places to eat.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
125 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Carlsbad Caverns: stay in Artesia or Carlsbad?

Betsy I was glad to hear you did not have a problem with the oil smell. Anyone else have a more recent report on air quality in Artesia? Extra drive time to Carlsbad seems the better option given the very high hotel prices there. Which restaurants did you like best? Thanks

Reply to: Visiting Carlsbad Caverns: stay in Artesia or Carlsbad?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Artesia