We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip

Bradford, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Road trip

We are doing a road trip from new York up to Niagara stopping at a few places in between including Albany ,is there some areas we should avoid and of course being Brits we like a beer or 3 so is there a bar pub inn that can be recommended

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Athos Restaurant
$$ - $$$, Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
Angelo's 677 Prime
$$$$, American, Steakhouse
Iron Gate Cafe
$$ - $$$, American, Cafe
9 replies to this topic
Slingerlands, New...
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
389 posts
540 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip

Sounds like a nice time. The New York State Thruway (interstate 87 and 90) will be the major rude you were on. Most things are accessible from there with widely varying times on smaller roads. The New York State Museum, the baseball Hall of Fame I just to examples of many things you might want to see. As far as beer I am only from Milyer with the Albany area and cannot talk about the other areas she will be going through. If you have time to stop for lunch and a couple in Albany the Albany pump station is a great restaurant and day craft brewery. The more famous one in upstate New York is Omegang in Cooperstown which would be somewhat off your main route. They have a wide variety including heavier hoppier brews. In Troy New York just across the Hudson from Albany perhaps a 20 minute detour is browns brewing company another craft brewery that also serves food. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy the states as I have enjoyed your country.

Mentioned in this post
New York State Museum
New York State Museum
961 Reviews
Albany, NY
Albany
Albany
New York
Cooperstown
Cooperstown
Otsego, NY
Troy
Troy
New York
Hudson Hotel New York
Hudson Hotel New York
7,312 Reviews
New York City, NY
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip

Another great brew pub with excellent food in the Albany area is Druther’s.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Bradford, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip

Thanx much appreciated

Bradford, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip

Thanks much appreciated n looking foreword to it

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,511 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip

How much time do you have for this drive?

If not under time pressure, Route 9 (the secondary mostly 2 lane road) goes closer to the river for a more scenic trip and goes through some cute towns and historical places https:/…U.S._Route_9_in_New_York (There are route options on both sides of the river.)

Browse http://travelhudsonvalley.com/ and http://www.hudsonvalley.org/

On the west side of the river I like the Raccoon Saloon in Marlborough. On the east Peekskill and Beacon have some nice places.

Mentioned in this post
Marlborough
Marlborough
Massachusetts
Bradford, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip

Is there plenty of motels or hotels on this route

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip

You will find lots of hotels and motels along the route.

A good pub crawl in Albany (and you could stay in the nearby Hampton Inn is:

Old English Pub (in case you are missing home)

Pump Station

Wolffs Biergarten

Druther's

They are all spread along Broadway. Interestingly, the original brewmaster at the Pump Station is now the owner (and brewer) at Druthers. So you could do a comparison.

Depending on when your road trip is planned, the Old English has a great beer garden in the back. Wolff's is known as a soccer bar, so if you are looking for a place to watch any football games while you are away, that is the place to do it. Also a fun place for a drink and darts.

The Hampton Inn (which has its own really good bistro bar), is closest to the Old English, so you might want to start at Druthers and work your way back.

Edited: 19 November 2017, 21:59
Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Bradford, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip

We are planning for July about6th or 7th of July so if you are around n see 2 middle aged English couples having a good old time feel free to say hi

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip

I highly suggest NOT taking the Thruway west. Route 17 (the Southern Tier Expressway) is lovely in the summer. I wish you a happy drive and hope you love New York as much as I love England.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Road trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted