We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on a 4 hour layover in ALBANY NY

Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on a 4 hour layover in ALBANY NY

I have 4 hours to spend in or around the airport. What do you suggest. I will have my carry-on with me unless there is somewhere I can leave it that is safe. Is there anything interesting at the airport. I really don't want to go too far since I will have to go back. Any suggestions.

7 replies to this topic
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on a 4 hour layover in ALBANY NY

The airport itself is very small. There is a lovely, small craft/gift store in the airport (outside of security) called "Destinations" which is worth a visit. That will take you all of ten minutes. Very near the airport is not overly exciting.

The only thing within walking distance is the Albany County Ice Rink -- if you fancy a skate or to take in a hockey game (mostly youth), you will be able to get there very easily. Otherwise, you are looking at a cab ride somewhere.

The Colonie Center mall is a short 5-10 minute ride away (depending on how you hit the lights). It is at the other end of Wolf Road, which is a strip of chain restaurants and hotels, with a store or two thrown in. If you are looking for a nearby meal (what time of day are we talking?), the Warehouse Grill and Barbecue has good barbecue and a nice bar, and is very close to the airport. Any other chain restaurant you might like is probably also nearby.

The Shaker Heritage Society (the first Shaker Settlement in the U.S.) is also only a couple minutes away. They have a very small museum and shop. http://home.shakerheritage.org/visit/. If you are a golfer, the NexGen indoor golf center (golf simulators -- the golfers in my house love it), is about 5 minutes from the airport. http://nexgengolfcenter.com/

I can't think of anything else that does not involve a longer ride. Good luck!

Edited: 07 February 2018, 06:46
Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Shaker Heritage Society
Shaker Heritage Society
51 Reviews
Albany, NY
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on a 4 hour layover in ALBANY NY

Name of the airport gift store is Departure, not Destinations!

Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on a 4 hour layover in ALBANY NY

Thanks. That gives me some things to think about. I land at 2 but won't leave until 6:30 pm. don't relish spending 4 hours in the airport, but oh well.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,160 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on a 4 hour layover in ALBANY NY

Things at Albany are normally a lot better than at some airports, but how much risk do you want to take getting back through security? If your arriving flight is on time it still may be close to 2:30 by the time you're outside, and boarding for your departing flight will probably start boarding by 6. If you're brave and walk back in an hour before boarding time you're down to just 3 1/2 hours. If you only allow an hour to get through security and get to the gate what happens if anything delays you a bit?

In case you don't know, if you miss your connection when the airline gave you plenty of time you're just another no show and they've got no obligation to help you out. That can mean buying another ticket (possibly including a return itinerary) at the fare they're asking for that day. If yours was the last flight or they don't have seats you'll get to pay for a hotel room, too.

4 hours sitting in an airport during a layover isn't fun, but it beats missing your connecting flight.

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on a 4 hour layover in ALBANY NY

I actually am just waiting on my son to get off work and pick me up. He lives an hour or so away. He doesn't get off until 5. I've decided to take the 117 bus to the mall and wait for him there. Thanks.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on a 4 hour layover in ALBANY NY

The bus to the mall is a good idea. There is also a good art gallery in the airport, small but they have excellent exhibits.

Slingerlands, New...
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
389 posts
540 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do on a 4 hour layover in ALBANY NY

You all forgot the interfaith prayer/meditation room at the airport. Not 4 hours, but a wonderful environment.

Reply to: What to do on a 4 hour layover in ALBANY NY
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted