We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas to Stay? Recommendations

San Diego
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
339 reviews
Save Topic
Areas to Stay? Recommendations

What are your recommendations on the best areas to stay? Is there a walkable area of town to restaurants, shops, etc??

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas to Stay? Recommendations

The downtown area has lots of restaurants (not many shops). I would stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites (downtown) -- there are some fun spots right there. Another option is the new Renaissance, which is closer to the Capitol and the Capital Center (depending on what you are in town for). A couple good places to eat right there, and then only a block or two back to the area near the Hampton Inn.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas to Stay? Recommendations

I agree with Jenny. My wife and I have stayed a couple of times at the Hampton in the days before Uber.

The restaurant attached, dp Bistro is one of the best restaurants in Albany.

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
San Diego
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas to Stay? Recommendations

Great. Thanks.

Slingerlands, New...
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
389 posts
540 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas to Stay? Recommendations

It depends what you are looking for. Those are great places downtown. The mall shopping is in the suburbs, as it is in other cities, and if you are mobile you may NOT want to be downtown. Colonie (Wolf Rd., the area near the airport) has Colonie Center, and Guilderland (Western Suburb) has Crossgates Mall. There are many chain hotels in these areas. The Desmond Hotel in Colonie has a colonial theme, and is a nice place to stay and is minutes from Wolf Rd. shopping, restaurants, etc. Staying in the burbs lets you get out of town easier to see things around and about. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Crossgates Mall
Crossgates Mall
129 Reviews
Albany, NY
The Desmond Hotel Albany
The Desmond Hotel Albany
1,398 Reviews
Albany, NY
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Areas to Stay? Recommendations

So, not sure if you have come and gone already, or what exactly you are looking for, but this just came across my Facebook so I thought I would share. The owner of the loft also owns some of the fun bars in town, including Wolf's Biergarten and the Olde English Pub. If I didn't live 2 miles down the road, I would probably stay there myself!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/16704830

Reply to: Areas to Stay? Recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted