We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surat thani taxi mafia

1 post
Save Topic
Surat thani taxi mafia

Just got on bus, next to train station (suri thani)

Its 4.40 (morning)

Going to city centre (13km) for 20 baht

Taxi asked 500-400....called few companies....

Feeling happy and victorious :)

7 replies to this topic
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surat thani taxi mafia

I don't understand. Were you expecting to go from train station to city for 20 baht?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Surat thani taxi mafia

Is no maffia.

Is a normal price for taxi. TukTuk is a bit cheaper. Trainstation is considered as "outside" the city, and then they do not follow the meter. Same applies for airport, Don Sak and Khanom for example. The drivers are usual not able to explain this to you in English.

Strange you compare the price for a (subsidised) bus drive to the price for a commercial operating taxi service.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surat thani taxi mafia

Hallo everyone may I ask you which is a standard price from Surt Thani airport to Surat Thani city bus station? thanks a lot

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Surat thani taxi mafia

What busstation. There are three places considered as busstation in Surat-Thani.

When you want private transport you only can use limousine service from Phanthip. I guess around 800 Baht.You will not find taxies or TukTuks waiting to pick up passengers, unless you hire one yourself prior to your landing.

When you want to go cheap use the Phanthip bus what shuttles from airport and city VV

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surat thani taxi mafia

Related to this subject. Does anyone have knowledge or rough idea of taxi price from Surat Thani airport to Khanom beach area. Thanks!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Surat thani taxi mafia

I do not know the price, but they will charge double meter price as both places are outside their normal "service-area" And you will not find taxies at the airport. Only when you book one before thwy are allowed to pick you up from the airport

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surat thani taxi mafia

OK, thanks for the info Karel

Reply to: Surat thani taxi mafia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Surat Thani