We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cha Am beach & sea quality?

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cha Am beach & sea quality?

About to go down to Cha Am for few days, possibly The Beach Cha Am Guest House, but have read that the beach & sea aren't good for swimming, which is what we want. Up to date report would be gratefully received, thanks TA 😀

9 replies to this topic
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cha Am beach & sea quality?

For great beaches you should head to the islands. Cha-am and HH are average at best. Pattaya is worse.

Ko Samet is good near Bangkok.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cha Am beach & sea quality?

Don't need for up to date, year round they are fairly crappy. Even lower Gulf can be very iffy, any time of year.

Andaman Sea is a much better bet.

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cha Am beach & sea quality?

Thanks for your thoughts but another area isn't an option this time, average will do I guess, just wanted to know if swimming was possible or if we had to look for a pool. Cheers

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cha Am beach & sea quality?

Swimming is possible but the water is not clear, surprisingly it did not look much better than the north sea but that maybe the time of year. At Si Chang and Koh Larn the sea was quite clear and blue.

Edited: 22 March 2017, 00:39
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cha Am beach & sea quality?

It depends where you're comparing it to really say Sarfend or many other UK beaches then much better but compared to the south Thailand islands then not so good.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cha Am beach & sea quality?

Yes, I would go with a pool. It's swim-able, but I really don't like not seeing what's in the water. I've been to Cha Am a few times, and wouldn't consider going in, though others do.

Last stay was at now re-branded, FuramaXclusive Sandara Hua Hin, don't let name fool you, it's Cha Am. Best of the places I've stayed, rooftop pool offering views above the trees.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
195 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cha Am beach & sea quality?

Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park has a nice beach, amongst other attractions.

Kamphaeng Phet...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cha Am beach & sea quality?

We have come to Chaam for over 12 years now. Times have really changed here just over the last 5 years. Even the last couple years. You use to be able to head to the north end and by crab, prawns, and shells for a pretty good feast at a good price. Now you pay more than you would pay most places internationally. Not worth buying right from the markets, even the restaurant's close, by are way too expensive for the little crab you get. You are looking at 700baht /kilo (22 USD)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cha Am beach & sea quality?

How are the dogs in Cha Am now? I read warnings last year about attacks at night.

Reply to: Cha Am beach & sea quality?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cha-am
Recent Conversations