We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

warning on dog attacks

Level Contributor
7 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
warning on dog attacks

I was suddenly surrounded by 4 feral dogs last week in cha am, on a main tourist soi at 11am, and one of those nice little doggies bit me hard on my upper thigh. Hospital visits for rabies vaccinations (5 in total required) will run more than 5,000 baht, not to mention the possibility that I end up dying of rabies anyway.

The attack happened on the corner of chao lai and narathip rd, 1 short block from the main beach road, very close to the arroy restaurant. I reported the incident to the police, and they weren't exactly moved to action. They were more interested in my Thai language fluency. I asked a local family who witnessed the attack to help me find my cellphone which I threw into the air in utter shock while being attacked, and they refused, continuing to eat their breakfast.

I met a foreigner at the cha am hospital who was attacked in the exact same area 3 days before me. He told me that the nurses in the cha am hospital said they treat 20 foreigners per day for dog bites.

Carrying a stick probably would not have worked in this case. The entire attack went down in 5-10 seconds from when they saw me until the alpha male sunk his teeth in. I carried a stick once in a bad dog area on a different trip to buriram, and was scolded by a local for carrying the stick.

Until these dogs are all rounded up, walking around cha am is something that I consider to be risky at best, life threatening at worse.

This has put me off of cha am indefinitely . There are so many beach towns in the area with much less of a dog issue. I have visited at least 6 or 7 times in the past few years. Aggressive feral dogs have always been a recurring danger. Take care!

11 replies to this topic
Dutchie in Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: warning on dog attacks

Was also attacked and bitten in Cha Am in 2015, and had some near misses in other parts of Thailand. Was transported to the hospital by a friendly local, and back with some tourists as there is no transport there at night. Got the 5-6 rabies shots during my stay in the rest of Thailand.

I love the country and the people but won't return until they free the streets of this terrible dangerous wild life. If it were rats attacking they would have all been killed already.

Reply to: warning on dog attacks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cha-am
Recent Conversations