We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Rai & Chiang Mai in August with children - how long?

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Rai & Chiang Mai in August with children - how long?

Hi,

I have done lots of research but I am still struggling to decide on how many days should we be planning in Chiang Rai. We are arriving at 17 o'clock from Beijing with kids 8 and 10. Being it August and a raining season, what would the weather be like?

From Chiang Rai we will be going to Chiang Mai.

Can anyone, please, advise us, how long for each place?

6 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
8,779 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Rai & Chiang Mai in August with children - how long?

I spend August in Chiang Mai and will be back again this year.

You expect rain, last year it did not rain every day and when it did It was good tropical down pour. Late after noon or over night.These last for about 1 hour We did get a 3 day period where it was overcast and rain a few times during the day and night. We had to delay a concrete pour by a day due to this.

IMO Chiang Rai is better with a guide and 2-3 days is required. Plenty to see and do in Chiang Mai so as much time as you have. I also suggest you put art In Paradise on your list of things to do

Chok Dee

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,146 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Rai & Chiang Mai in August with children - how long?

What is your total time budget for Thailand? You probably want to visit other parts of the country so your stay should not compromise your enjoyment of other areas. It is easy to stay busy for a week or more in the north but that does not make sense if you have only e.g. ten days and want to visit two more areas.

How well do all of you tolerate the heat and humidity? I doubt Beijing is any better in August so you have at least had some time to get used to it. However, many people prefer to head out early morning and get back to their accommodation by early afternoon so that they can spend the hottest part of the day resting in the air-conditioning of their room or at the swimming pool. By 18:00 it will be a bit cooler and night markets etc. will be starting to gear up so that it is worthwhile to head out again.

You know your kids best. How much stamina do they have, i.e. can they keep on sightseeing e.g. from early morning until midnight? Do they require afternoon naps? (Probably not.) Do you enforce at home a mandatory bedtime which you do not want to mess up by letting the kids stay up until much later while on vacation?

It will rain from time to time. You never know when and how long but rain is more likely in late afternoon. It might be a drizzle or a really heavy downpour; the duration could be 30 minutes or a few hours. Only you can decide when and how long you need to stop sightseeing and huddle indoors (probably eating). The point is that rain may slow down sightseeing so that you can cover in a day fewer attractions than you planned.

Since you have done lots of research you have now a list of attractions and activities that you or the kids want to see/do in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai. Some of them will be things that you would like to see if you have the time but others should be things without which there is no point at all in going to Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai. Other people cannot tell you what those are.

Some attractions like night markets are open only on weekends. You may have to time your stays accordingly if they are things you must experience.

Due to the above reasons and driving distances it may be that you can cover only a single daytime attraction and one evening attraction per day. If you want to manage more, you must do careful planning. One obvious approach is starting the day with a mandatory attraction and putting one or two 'nice to see' nearby attractions onto a wish list for the day. If you are rained out or tire out too quickly, adjust your plans for the upcoming days according to your interests. The number of days you need in each location depends entirely on what you must see or do in each one.

How many hours have you been traveling from your previous accommodation when you arrive at 17:00? It might be that at this point the kids need dinner as soon and as close as possible before going to bed soonest. I.e. the first evening may be a total loss as far as sightseeing is concerned.

How are you traveling from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai? If you take the bus you can expect to spend 5-6 hours from accommodation to accommodation (packing/unpacking, check out/in, travel to/from bus station, and the actual ride). That could wipe out a day as far as sightseeing is concerned. A private car transfer would be a bit faster.

How long have you been traveling when you arrive? On a long trip people need to have breaks to avoid burning out. Chiang Rai or Chiang Rai are good places to spend a day chilling out and doing nothing unless for you relaxation equals grilling yourselves on a beach.

I hope that helps but only you can do the planning.

Edited: 16 June 2018, 07:36
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Rai & Chiang Mai in August with children - how long?

Thank you all.

we are actually flying from China to Chiang Rai. We will be leaving Thailand on the 20th from Bangkok (so 3 days there). From Chiang Rai most likely with the bus to Chiang Mai.

I don't think there will be much time to do any of the beaches and islands.

The children are well traveled although the hottest they ever experienced was August in Florida.

We want to do the "usual" tourist attractions (see the elephants, some Zoo, temples and markets).

I am really struggling to work out how many days where as we always arrange our accommodation in advance. But I guess it may not be a problem to plan from day to day?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
8,779 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Rai & Chiang Mai in August with children - how long?

I did not know you could fly from China to Chiang Rai, who are you flying with.

So what day do you arrive in Chiang Rai ?

From Chiang Mai to Chiang Mai, it is the bus or a private driver. It is about 190 K and take 3 hours by the VIP bus or 3.5 by the First class as it does take a 20 min stop. This is good for people who can last 3 hours with out a smoke.

Chok Dee

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiang Rai & Chiang Mai in August with children - how long?

Flights from China direct to Chiang Rai...

https:/…Chiang_Rai_International_Airport

"Being it August and a raining season, what would the weather be like?"

Although technically middle of rainy season it can be several days with no rain, or the occasional late afternoon shower, or longer periods of drizzle. In other words, nearly impossible to predict year upon year. At least you know it will be warm and humid so prepare to sweat and drink loads of water.

How many days in total for both CR and CM? I would give 2 days for CR then the balance for CM, hopefully including at least a day trip out of the city. Rice fields are bursting at that time, with fields and hills very scenic and brilliant green. A nice day trip is up to Bua Tong ("Sticky") waterfalls with a stop at Wat Ban Den (exceptionally interesting temple grounds with bizarre mythical creatures). Could also combine with Mae Taeng elephant / rafting camps nearby.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chiang Rai & Chiang Mai in August with children - how long?

it isn't a direct flight, stopover in Bangkok

Reply to: Chiang Rai & Chiang Mai in August with children - how long?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted