We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mae Salong

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mae Salong

Our wonderful guide Jermsak took us to Mae Salong. The tranquil environment and beauty was breathtaking. We stayed at Little Home which was clean, friendly and in the perfect location. little home sits next to the morning market which is a must see. we enjoyed coffee and fresh donuts as we watched the marketplace in full swing. we hiked the 718 steps to the king's mothers shrine and looked over the town and tea plantations in the distance. we sat and enjoyed the view before hiking back down. we could have stayed for a couple of days in this beautiful setting, but continued on to visit the hill tribe Of Lisu, 15 minutes from town. If you stop by this hill tribe, they are in need of toys for the children to play with as a group, pencils, crayons, coloring books etc. We dropped off shoes and clothes which they were very grateful for.

Loveland
Level Contributor
29 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mae Salong

We visited Mae Salong last October and also loved it. It's a beautiful place. We hope to return some day and stay a little longer. The folks at Little House were friendly and very accommodating. A great place to spend some time relaxing and taking in the environment.

Hernando Beach...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mae Salong

Sounds wonderful and makes me fondly recall my visit last October. The hilltribe people were all smiles when we visited. I was absolutely amazed at how all of the people of Thailand we met were kind and welcoming and most of all I did not experience one that had and entitlement attitude. They were gracious and generous and welcomed anything we gave them but did not have the attitude I see almost everywhere of "you owe us". It was so refreshing and revived my faith in mankind each time I encountered someone new there.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mae Salong

I have fond memories of Mae Salong and Jermsak. I remember the 718 strps to the King's Mother's shrine. I especially was grateful, anddid Puja at the top, as I had recently had larynx cancer and needed a lot of water and extra rest.

Jermsak is so kind and helpful. He was able to answer many of my questions about the hilltribes during our visit there.

Don't miss this opportunity.

Kent

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
206 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mae Salong

I can see everything you describe that I was actually back there. The Little Home is a marvelous place to stay and the owners do take such good care of you. I remember my trepidation at the thought of climbing 718 steps and actually found the steps to be much easier than the roadway leading up to the start. Sitting on the wall and looking over the valley was breathtaking. I am thrilled you were able to experience such a wonderful place and all it has to offer.

Thank you for the information on the Lisu Hill tribe. We will be going back in December and will have plenty of the items you say they need.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mae Salong

Loved reading this - thanks so much.

Caroline.

6. Re: Mae Salong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 05:16