We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation Suggestions Please

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation Suggestions Please

Hi everyone,

Have just decided that instead of trying to do Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai in one day to see the Hill Tribes and Golden Triangle we might stay overnight.

Where can I find a cheap twin room (my son and I) with air-con, breakfast and close to everything, seeing as though it is only one night we don't want to be too far away from the main centre- wherever that is lol!!!

Also, what is the best, cheapest, way to see the Hill Tribes and Golden TriangleGolden Triangle?

Thanks for the suggestions

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Golden Triangle
Golden Triangle
875 Reviews
Chiang Saen, Thailand
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation Suggestions Please

Or, should we consider, perhaps, staying a couple of nights. I am unfamiliar with what to do in Chiang Rai other than the Golden Traingle and Hill Tribes.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation Suggestions Please

Aussiegirl68:

Take a look at the FAQ in the upper right hand of the page and click on the tab "Top 30 things to do." It has been awhile since I updated it, but it has some good ideas.

My favorite day in Chiang Rai is taking the bamboo raft down the Mae Kok River, stopping and walking over the suspension bridge, walking to a hilltribe and riding elephants.

As for accommodations, there are not a lot of options right in downtown Chiang Rai, but there are great options within 1 to 2 km from the city center (about a 5 to 7 minute tuk tuk ride. I like Baan Nattawadde and several members of this forum like Baan Soontree. Check out reviews of both of them in the hotel section.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation Suggestions Please

Thanks Broder!

What can I expect to pay, reasonably cheap price, for 2 people for the bamboo raft down the river? I think my son would love to do that! What tours companies would you suggest?

I'll check out your other suggestions right now, thanks again!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation Suggestions Please

I just found this:

"We crossed back over the suspension bridge and hopped on to Jermsaks famous raft. I quickly noted the life jackets! There were eight of us on board, our family of four, Jermsak, his wife who came along to cook lunch for us – and two raft steerers/drivers. One sat at the front and one at the back. There was plenty of room and Jermsak has (in his usual way) provided cushions and a little table to ensure comfort.

What an amazing two hours followed. A cool breeze blew up the river and we floated along. We sipped on drinks, snacked on fresh mango and took in the smell of fried chicken cooking on the little fire place on board. Yes, I know what you are thinking – bamboo raft – cooking on board… however, it all seems to work well. We felt like celebrities as other boats passed us we posed for photos. Our youngest was so relaxed he stretched out to have a short nap… (the life!).

About half way along we stopped at a hot spring for a look around and a toilet break. When we got back on the raft a three course lunch was cooked and ready. How surreal, floating on a raft, eating chicken and cashew nuts while hill tribes glide by. I can truly say this is one of the best day trips I have ever done."

We would loooooooove to do this plus the Hill Tribe villages.

What is Jermsak's (is that pronounced how it is written??) contact details?

Thanks for everything guys

5. Re: Accommodation Suggestions Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 13:15