We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yippee! metered taxis have arrived in Chiang Rai!!!!!!!

Thailand
Level Contributor
203 posts
11 reviews
Yippee! metered taxis have arrived in Chiang Rai!!!!!!!

The new metered taxis are GREAT. For far too long the local tuk-tuk operators have had it far too good. These brand new, spotlessly clean and air-conditioned taxis will take you anywhere in the Province, or, indeed, anywhere in Thailand. I tried one today on the recommendation of friends. To go 8 km into town cost me 80 BAHT, whereas I usually pay my trusty tuk tuk driver 150 BAHT. You can hire a cab to take you to Mae Sai: or anywhere in the Province, and even to BKK, altho the latter excursion is somewhat expensive (8,000 BAHT up). You can go to Chiang Mai in comfort. The prices are written up on a laminated sheet (no bargaining) and they are as cheap as chips.The service is GREAT. I was a bit worried about the English-speaking side of it: the drivers of course don't speak English, but booking over the phone was a breeze: 053 773 477. You just have to cut in on the Thai welcome and ask breathlessly if anyone speaks English, and you are home and hosed. I used the above number, which is the central office, knowing there would be someone who spoke English there: I didn't try the mobile backup: 081 998 8918. These guys are just wonderful. I usually prefer tuk tuks, but in a car you can see so much more. One of my worst tours in this Province was in the back of a songthaew: I couldn't see a thing, except backwards and fast. These taxis will change the face of tourism in CR. Honest, clean, polite, efficient: what more can I say?

sunshine
Level Contributor
37 posts
31 reviews
11. Re: Yippee! metered taxis have arrived in Chiang Rai!!!!!!!

are there many taxis as a friend and i are going there on the 24 may and staying at the dusit island resort we will most certainly use them also can anyone tell me when you get off the plane we are flying thai do you have to climb down stairs onto the tarmac and get a bus into the airport or does the plane go direct into walkway

Thailand
Level Contributor
203 posts
11 reviews
12. Re: Yippee! metered taxis have arrived in Chiang Rai!!!!!!!

You will be fine: Thai Air have a walkway and then there is an escalator in the terminal. A lady waits downstairs and allocates taxis if you need one. These may be a different company to the one I have used: there is a bit of a turf war going on. Once at your hotel, when you want one, ring the number I mentioned above.

13. Re: Yippee! metered taxis have arrived in Chiang Rai!!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 14:17