We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hr layover at midnight in Doha during Ramadan

1 post
Save Topic
8 hr layover at midnight in Doha during Ramadan

Hi, I am a 27 year old female (US citizen) flying from Phuket, Thailand to Doha for an 8 hr layover. The plane arrives at 11:50pm and since I’ll be jet lagged anyway I thought I’d ask if I should leave the airport to explore a bit or avoid problems because it’s ramadan. I wouldn’t want to be disrespectful if seen walking around by myself or if there would be any place to go to at that time. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
4 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hr layover at midnight in Doha during Ramadan

Hi Raquel and welcome to Trip Advisor.

You would be best to post your query on the Doha forum.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,275 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hr layover at midnight in Doha during Ramadan

Hi,

Wait it out at the airport, there is nothing worth going into the city for at that time.

Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hr layover at midnight in Doha during Ramadan

I wouldn't go out the airport . I had a 6 hour stopover with two girls aged 10 and 15 and tried to sit in the family lounge was a terrible experience with my daughter having an old man put his hand on her lap inaprropritely I would book a room in the airport hotel you would be much happier there

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hr layover at midnight in Doha during Ramadan

Hi Raquel G:

Being a Muslim, let me provide some basic information about Ramadan. The month is observed as Muslims fast from dawn till dusk. So, most of the restaurants should either be closed (generally speaking from my experience of living in and travelling to Muslim countries - not specifically about Qatar) or restricted during the day time. The meal at midnight till around 3:30am (till first light of dawn) is called "Sahri" (or "Sehri" or "Sahr" depending on dialects). After that restaurants and street food options should be closed for the whole day till dusk when Muslims will sit for the evening meal called "Iftaar"/"Eftaar".

Night time at Ramadan should be pretty vibrant till the dawn. Most large cities with a considerable Muslim population have the culture of Sehri parties/ get together at restaurants, and the late night time is also utilized for shopping as a big festival comes at the end of Ramadan.

For specific information I suggest you visit Doha/Qatar forums.

Cheers and have a safe trip. :)

Reply to: 8 hr layover at midnight in Doha during Ramadan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted