We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phetchaburi, Chumphon (Bangkok-Khao Luang Cave- Koh Tao)

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Phetchaburi, Chumphon (Bangkok-Khao Luang Cave- Koh Tao)

I would like to visit Khao Luang Cave in Phetchaburi from BKK ...but also I booked a 4-days stay in Koh Tao. I am in doubt of how to plan this 2 trips:

1. Visit Phetchaburi as a day trip from BKK, (by bus) and then reach Koh Tao another day,( by Lompharay bus+ferry from BKK)

2. Get an early bus from BKK to Phetchaburi, visit the cave quickly and then proceed to Chumphon, in order to take the ferry to Koh Tao the next morning

Which variant should I go for? What do you recommend? Any other suggestions?

4 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phetchaburi, Chumphon (Bangkok-Khao Luang Cave- Koh Tao)

Well just based on where the places are geographically it'd make more sense to go in a straight line, rather than back and forth, so I'd pick your number 2.

But might be difficult to organise with buses/vans. You'd have to plan properly before setting off and figure out where pick up and drop off points are (I guess the main bus station in Petchaburi but how to get there from the cave). Maybe somebody else can help with that, I've never been there.

There's a night boat to Koh Tao by the way, so you could get the boat the same night. It's cheaper too and you save a nights accommodation.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phetchaburi, Chumphon (Bangkok-Khao Luang Cave- Koh Tao)

Actually the Phetchaburi Railway station shows 2.6 kms away from cave, and should be transport at the station when arriving. 2hr 35 min hr trip, train #43 arr 1040

Bus station is a wee bit further, take about 2 hrs, though also have to figure in time to get to the southern bus station (Mai Tai Mai), no easy task. Again, should be transport at bus station.

Then bus or first train available.....(#171 dep: 1611 arr: 2112) if on time, to Chumphon.

Does look like one of the nicer cave temples, as been to a couple, and they were....well, crap. May have to pop in myself, next time in the area.

Edited: 10 March 2017, 01:32
Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phetchaburi, Chumphon (Bangkok-Khao Luang Cave- Koh Tao)

On second thought, I'll pass, and you may want to read the "poor" and "terrible" reviews, only 5, but..........I don't do monkeys, and they appear to be a known problem.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Bangkok, Krung...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phetchaburi, Chumphon (Bangkok-Khao Luang Cave- Koh Tao)

I suggest the way...

Take a mini van to Petchaburi, get Tuk Tuk to visit the cave. Then catch the train to Chumpon (No. 31 dep: 17.47 arr: 22.34 or No. 171 dep: 1611 arr: 2112) so you can catch a night boat at midnight and see the sun rise on Koh Tao

Hope this help.

Reply to: Phetchaburi, Chumphon (Bangkok-Khao Luang Cave- Koh Tao)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phetchaburi