We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slander

Turkey
9 posts
Save Topic
Slander

As a restaurant owner in Kusadasi I recently noted that the latest review on my business is totally out of context. The previuse 9 reviews show that my hard working team is providing an excellent service. This person may wish to damage my business’s reputation for their own reasons, but please take heart for my staff who work so hard in providing many a customer with an excellent meal experience. This is a vindictive slur and a total misuse of the facility Trip Advisor is giving. Totally upset and disillusioned.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slander

Elif2000 if you send me a private message with a link to the review I will look over to see if it requires reporting/removing.

The last few months have seen this happening quite a bit and a lot of one off posts as well, which I suspect are not all genuine posts.

I did a clean up a few months ago but this just meant that another wave of one-off posts arrrived. I do not have enough time to go through every post and review, and its not really up to me or any other DE to police the forums, so if you see anyone sees any dodgy reviews or posts please use the report button.

If you register as an owner you can reply to reviews, either thanking the reviewer for a good review or

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slander

Hi Elif

There are people who enter into the spirit of this site and there are those who create mischief and try to defame an establishment.

Hoteliers have the opportunity of responding to both positive and negative comments but i have not seen this available in any Forum maybe this is something for the future.

People do need to be aware of the defamatory or slanderous comments they make or may face legal action.

See an extract from the Guardian Newspaper January 2011 below

An "online reputation services" company called KwikChex, acting on behalf of more than 1,000 hoteliers, says it estimates there are at least 27,000 legally defamatory comments on TripAdvisor, "allegations that are false and should, if necessary, be tested in court". Chris Emmins, who runs Kwikchex, is in the process of contacting TripAdvisor about some of these specific comments, with "a notification saying: 'We regard these reviews as suspect, this user may now be open to legal action, please inform them.' We're hoping that people will reconsider their comments, particularly if they are a competitor, and remove the material they've posted . . . In virtually every country, when it comes to defamation, the judge will ask what opportunity the defendant has been given to correct the situation, so we're going this route to say, legally, we've done everything we can." After that, Emmins suggests, they'll take further legal action against the defamatory reviews that haven't been taken down.

Everone needs to take a balanced view of the comments they read and be aware that we all like different things and have different expectations.

Hope you get some good reviews to level things out.

Dave

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slander

elif

Contact Trip Advisor to complain about this first as gibson suggested, register as an owner and leave a comment after the review

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Owners

and some more information here

tripadvisor.co.uk/help/how_can_owners_alert_…

Turkey
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Slander

Hi Dave thank you so much for your reply, it was heart warming, I have 9 previuse excellent reviews and of course I want to learn if customers have had a bad experience, in this case the post was only put on at the end of Jan and we have been closed since the end of Oct. If you felt so strongly about an incident surely you would report this straight away. Anyway feel a little better today.

Turkey
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Slander

Thank you so much for your advice I have noted the link below if you are in a poisiton to police the site and feel like myself this post isn't genuine I would really apprciate your imput.

The main reason I feel its not a true judgement is that our restuarant has been closed since the end of Oct. Why did they wait to post this until Jan if they felt so strongley, and I sense the person knows "The Owner" as the aspect of the mail highlights this far too many times. I am very proud of my team and we have worked 12 years to earn a solid reputation. We hand out questionnaires at the end of people's meal and nothing like this was noted.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g297972-d1…

Turkey
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Slander

Sorry how can i send you the link privately , Elif

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,048 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slander

To send a private message to someone who has commented in this thread (or another thread), click on the screen name in the column at left. In the next screen, click "Send message".

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slander

Hi Elif,

I have looked at the review and done some digging, it appears that the poster stayed in September in the Sealight as they also reviewed the Sealight hotel. it is not unusual for people to review months after particularly when they begin to consider booking again and start looking over the reviews before booking their holiday. it does appear to be a genuine review, so it is down to some-one's personal opinion. To be honest as your restaurant has a number of very positive reviews i would not be too bothered, most people take it into consideration the good and the bad reviews and come to their own conclusions. it is a sad fact that you will not be able to please everyone all the time and the odd less positive review only makes people think that the reviews are genuine - not fakes posted by friends of the owners. Of the restuarant owners who reply to reviews I think that Shah-Jan is very gracious in how they respond, certainly when i posted a less than positive review the answer I got persauded me that I should go back to the restaurant again and give it another try and I intend to do so on my next visit.

I hope you find this useful.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slander

The poster also said that he was a solo traveller yet uses"we" when giving his review of the restaurant,I find that a little dubious.Any business is prone to an "off" day so I think the review was perhaps, a little harsh.

Turkey
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Slander

Thank you again all points taken, hope to meet you this summner.

Get answers to your questions about Kusadasi