We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private RAK to Khasab half day Dhow trip?

London
Level Contributor
508 posts
1 review
Private RAK to Khasab half day Dhow trip?

Booked for a week in March at the Hilton Marjan Island and would like to take a Dhow from Khasab. However, we have a 3 year old and my wife is entering the third trimester, so I think it will have to be a private tour or leave it for next time.

Could anyone give a ballpark price for a private half day dhow for 3 people. Don't mind a package or booking transport separately.

Thanks

15 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
508 posts
1 review
1. Re: Private RAK to Khasab half day Dhow trip?

I guess hiring a car would be another option. Presume they will provide child car seats?

Wales
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
2. Re: Private RAK to Khasab half day Dhow trip?

This is a great trip but it is a long day with 2 hour travel either way.

http://www.khasabtours.com/tour-packages.html

London
Level Contributor
508 posts
1 review
3. Re: Private RAK to Khasab half day Dhow trip?

Thanks. I saw them recommended in a few older threads. The problem, as you noted, is the duration. Also I presume that will be a shared transfer of some kind.

I noticed they do private Dhows, but I guess I need to add transfers. Are the prices on their site indicative, as they don’t seem too bad for a private Dhow. Hiring a car seems to be the cheapest way to get there and back. Plus we can make our own pace.

How much are the Visa fees for the three of us now? Been searching but not sure if prices are current.

Edited: 14 February 2018, 16:17
Wales
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
4. Re: Private RAK to Khasab half day Dhow trip?

I would be very surprised if it was a private dhow unless they mean for a large party. I have not lived in RAK for 4 years now but the visa cost seemed to change on a daily basis when I was there! I did read that the Oman visa cost quadrupled last year to around 195dhs. Driving yourself is a great option and not difficult and quite spectacular once across the border. There are a few nice stopping places but you won't find cafes and many facilities so you need to be prepared with drinks/snacks etc. The departure point for the dhows is a small port wit parking on the left just as you enter the small town of Khasab. There are other companies that offer the half day cruise https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReview…

Edited: 14 February 2018, 16:46
London
Level Contributor
508 posts
1 review
5. Re: Private RAK to Khasab half day Dhow trip?

Thanks, thats great info. Car hire seems quite cheap and allows us to set our own pace, which is handy with a 3/yo. I'm thinking a sprint through the boring bit, then can stop and stretch our legs at the scenic bits, or when she decides she wants out of the car for a bit.

We'd do breakfast before leaving and take a few snacks/drinks for the trip. The wife's militant about being prepared since we became parents :)

Sorry I may not have been clear about the private dhow. I meant the other ones advertised by the same site as opposed to the trip you linked to, I'd book straight away if that was private :D

http://www.khasabtours.com/private-dhow.html

I think i'll email them and see what they say about Visa/Trasnport. Will report back current fees for the benefit of others.

Wales
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
6. Re: Private RAK to Khasab half day Dhow trip?

During my happy time in RAK this was our favourite trip and a favourite with our visitors. It was one of our last trips we did before leaving. I crossed that border over a dozen times and with ever changing exit/entry fees don't think we ever paid the same amount twice especially as there are different fees for residents and visitors. Some of the drive, especially through RAK city, is not pretty but is certainly interesting. The drive through the city has been made easier by a road widening scheme and the construction of flyovers through once busy intersections. If you want any specific information on the drive please just ask.

Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
903 posts
276 reviews
7. Re: Private RAK to Khasab half day Dhow trip?

If you decide to rent a car, make sure you have insurance cover for Oman!! I heard it can be quite difficult..

Wales
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
8. Re: Private RAK to Khasab half day Dhow trip?

Not difficult at all.

London
Level Contributor
508 posts
1 review
9. Re: Private RAK to Khasab half day Dhow trip?

Got reply and it appears current visa price is 235 AED. Presume it will be the same for our 3 year old.

London
Level Contributor
508 posts
1 review
10. Re: Private RAK to Khasab half day Dhow trip?

We have a couple of weeks before we go. So thought I'd get some quotes for the Dhow and see what their transfer prices are. If we decide to stick with hire car, I'll email the various outfits and ask them to quote for hire including insurance/permission to cross the border.

Currently leaning towards hiring. As gives us flexibility about stops along the way.

Can you hire a dhow on arrival? Since we can go midweek, we could risk it and head to Khasab. And take what we like at the time. Although less inclined to do this now we have the little one with us :)

Reply to: Private RAK to Khasab half day Dhow trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ras Al Khaimah