We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from Colonia to Montevideo

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
getting from Colonia to Montevideo

There was a discussion that was closed due to inactivity regarding the process of getting from BA by ferry to Colonia,(advanced ferry purchase on line), purchasing bus ticket to Montevideo on arrival, storing luggage, lunching, wandering and taking an early evening bus to Montevideo....Good info, straightforward- but at this point dated.

A friend and I are planning to take the Buquebus ferry to Colonia morning of 28 December- buying bus ticket upon arrival, etc. Due to the Christmas holiday can we count on getting bus tickets? Sounds as if they cannot be purchased until arrival but that there are two companies with buses pretty much hourly-

Can anyone confirm this for us before we proceed with our planning? thank you in advance!!!

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from Colonia to Montevideo

mariacr: Why you don't buy the bus ticket to MVD with Buquebus?

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from Colonia to Montevideo

You should not have problems with bus tickets, although the number of people traveling is a lot during that period, companies add enough buses to carry people.

That said, Buquebus offers a service that includes the boat to Colonia and then a bus to Montevideo, maybe you can buy the whole package to secure your place and delay the bus service until evening. You should contact them and find out.

Mentioned in this post
Buquebus
Buquebus
1,110 Reviews
Montevideo, Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from Colonia to Montevideo

Thanks! My understanding is you can't buy a thru ticket with a stop over. And buquebus is a lot more expensive than SeaCatColonia and ColoniaExpress. But I will go back on the bueque website and check. We weren't planning to take a bus before 6.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from Colonia to Montevideo

Thanks! My understanding is you can't buy a thru ticket with a stop over. And buquebus is a lot more expensive than SeaCatColonia and ColoniaExpress. But I will go back on the bueque website and check. We weren't planning to take a bus before 6. Since I posted the query I found out about the cheaper fares.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from Colonia to Montevideo

Thanks! My understanding is you can't buy a thru ticket with a stop over. And buquebus is a lot more expensive than SeaCatColonia and ColoniaExpress. But I will go back on the bueque website and check. We weren't planning to take a bus before 6. Since I posted the query I found out about the cheaper fares.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from Colonia to Montevideo

Thank you for your question. See other response.

7. Re: getting from Colonia to Montevideo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2015, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Colonia del Sacramento