We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day visit to Colonia On route to Montevideo. Storing bags?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
530 reviews
Save Topic
Day visit to Colonia On route to Montevideo. Storing bags?

Aloha from Hawaii.

As my trip get's closer, the more nervous I'm becoming.

I've planned to visit Colonia for a day on route to Montevideo from Buenos Aires.

I've decided to take the Seacat ( 1 hour ride) from Puerto Madero to Colonia. From there I am hoping to store my luggage while I visit the city for about 2 -4 hours maybe grabbing lunch. I'm still up in the air about whether or not I'll take the early or later morning trip.

Because I want to visit Colonia, I am opting not to buy the ticket to Montevideo., because I heard that the ticket comes with a bus ticket, and zero time to visit Colonia.

So instead I thought to take Seacat to Colonia, and find a place to store my luggage , with your advice of course, then book a bus ticket, again with your expert advice, and finally go and visit Colonia.

By that time I'm sure I would have acquired a lot of things as this is towards the end of my month long journey, so I'll be with a large suitcase and large duffel bag to store .

Any advice please, on where I could leave my luggage for a few hours, where to buy my bus ticket to Montevideo, and whether or not there is a money exchange or atm booth at the Ferry terminal in Colonia?

Upon my return, I'm planning on booking through Bouquebus direct from Montevideo for my journey back to Buenos Aires.

I really hope to get some sound advice from you excellent experts.

Thank you kindly

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
SeaCat
SeaCat
88 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Puerto Madero
Puerto Madero
36,754 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
46,601 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day visit to Colonia On route to Montevideo. Storing bags?

I'm pretty certain that there is baggage store available at the bus station in Colonia, where you can get your tickets to Montevideo.

There are also storage facilities at the BIT Welcome Center (close to the port) and better than the bus station. Here's the page www.bitcolonia.com//site/servicios_servicio# You can change it to English on the upper right corner. I tried it but for some reason is not working with my browser.

Regarding ATMs, I'm sure you'll find one at the port but if not, don't worry about it. There are plenty of ATMs everywhere in Uruguay including at the bus station. You can also pay with USD in Uruguay if you need to. Just have handy some 1s, 5s and 10s so that you don't get too much change back in pesos.

For restaurants, pay with a credit card. Even if your bank charges you a foreign exchange fee, it 's always cheaper. As an incentive to tourists, the government does not collect VAT (22%) if you pay with an international credit card. For VISA, it's deducted right there from your Visa voucher. MasterCard reimburses it when you get your statement.

For some other purchases, if you pay with a debit card, they'll give you a discount of 4 point of the VAT, and 2 for credit cards. I can't tell you exactly for what type of purchases though. I tend to just use my credit card while in Uruguay and carry some pesos in my pocket for emergencies. I found a few places that don't take credit cards, but very few. I always ask before buying or ordering.

Happy a safe trip and hope you enjoy Colonia and Montevideo.

Silvia

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day visit to Colonia On route to Montevideo. Storing bags?

Thank you Sylvia.

Do you happen to know if the bus station is far from the Port? I think maybe storing my luggage at the port ( which you say has a better facility) may be better so I don't have to travel far to the bus station with all my luggage. I may even try to look for a luggage storage in Bueno Aires at the Port Madero. May be wiser to store luggage there and take only one suit case with me to Montevideo.

Thank you for all your advice :)

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
46,601 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day visit to Colonia On route to Montevideo. Storing bags?

It isn't far, but I don't know about walking with your suitcases. Maybe you can PM ZerpaConcept, the DE for Colonia. She lives there and could tell you how long of a walk.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/place/Puerto+de+Colonia/@-34.4745853,-57.845697,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x95a312693f2c50e3:0xf5bb91c5579b5a0?hl=en

I don't know if the port has a facility for storage, the BIT tourist welcome center is just a bit closer than the bus station (you could see the bus station on the google map above, right north of the Port pin).

And the BIT location here:

https://www.google.com.do/maps/place/BIT/@-34.4745764,-57.8457078,17z/data=!4m5!1m2!2m1!1stourist+welcome+center,+colonia+del+sacramento!3m1!1s0x95a312685f20e893:0x93a11a9c409f1ea5?hl=en

Ask in the Buenos Aires forum about storing luggage at the port terminal there. I have no idea if it is a good idea or safe.

I think that given that you'll be taking the bus the same day, I'd shoot for storing at the bus station. It looks like is just one or two more blocks, but then you get your ticket and you're all set to return there to pick up your luggage and continue to MVD.

Another option is to ask your hotel in Buenos Aires if they would store your suitcases for you. Many hotels offer such service for a few days.

Silvia

PS: Sorry if I can't be more specific in terms of distance. I haven't been to Colonia in almost 10 years now, even though I travel to Uruguay 2-3 times a year if not more.

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day visit to Colonia On route to Montevideo. Storing bags?

Thanks Sylvia.... I appreciate it

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day visit to Colonia On route to Montevideo. Storing bags?

Angelina,

I've traveled to Montevideo by Seacat and Buquebus more than 15 times, and last year I took my sister in law there for the first time. Her ferry ticket came without bus to Montevideo (it was sort of milage award) so I researched about your same situation and this is what I can tell you.

From the port, once you are out in the street, the bus station is only 150 - 200 m, but you have about 300 m from ferry terminal building to the street. In the bus terminal (small place) there's a luggage store.

Buses from Colonia to Montevideo departs each 2 hs (+/-) and takes 2:30 hs, same as Buquebus or Seacat buses, and it costs around 8 us$, payable with card, local money and very probably with us$(it's accepted almost everywhere in touristic places)

But, the best option for your luggage is leaving then at your hotel in BUE. I worked as tour guide in Buenos Aires and I can say any reasonable hotel keeps luggage for free, even if you don't come back to sleep there (if you had stayed, they keep until you come back to pick then up for airport, for example). Just make sure they give you a ticket, let them know your exact date of pick up, and check the luggage store room is well organized (just to avoid miss delivery)

This way, you travel light and most importantly fast. You won't need to wait for luggage in Colonia, depending your hotel location in Montevideo you won't need a taxi, etc.

Take the first ferry to Colonia, then stay 4-5 hs at least there, and go to Montevideo. No problem arriving at 20:00 or 21:00 there. There are lot of Taxis at bus terminal and they are reliable (not in BUE...).

You can change money right next to the port in Colonia or inside bus terminal in Montevideo (open until 23:00)

Uruguayan people are very very kind and educated...you will love then.

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
SeaCat
SeaCat
88 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Buquebus
Buquebus
1,131 Reviews
Montevideo, Uruguay
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day visit to Colonia On route to Montevideo. Storing bags?

One more thing, there isn't any problem to buy BUE-Colonia and Montevideo-BUE, both one way tickets. Even you can combine seacat (cheaper than Buquebus, even if they share same boat) with Buquebus direct fast ferry Montevideo-BUE for return if it suits you.

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
Buquebus
Buquebus
1,131 Reviews
Montevideo, Uruguay
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day visit to Colonia On route to Montevideo. Storing bags?

@mamaluc. Thank you so much. You are so kind to give such detailed descriptions.

I bought a business class ticket on Buquebus to Colonia ( hope its worth it ) and a Especial Class from Montevideo to BUE just for the experience.

I'm taking the 9 am ferry to ( 1 hr) to Colonia, and plan to stay around 3- 4 hours max and try to catch the next bus ( if I can find bus schedules ) to Montevideo.

I'll definitely ask my previous hotel in BA ( Hotel Madero) if I can store my luggage there. Or maybe even the hotel I'll check into upon return to BA ( 1828 Smart Hotel) if I can leave and store a bag there.

I will be coming with one suitcase and leave behind one bag ( shopping and souvenirs ) I always bring a second foldable bag that I pop out during the middle of my trip as I've accumulated a bit .

I'm still interested in storing my luggage upon arrival ( 1 bag that i'll use while in montevideo). in Colonia.

I wasn't going to stay too long in Colonia, just enough to walk around see the city and have a lunch. I'm excited for Montevideo . Walking around and seeing the city. I will have 1 full day and night the following day post arrival.

Thank you so much again. If there are any other advice you could give that would be awesome.

BTW I'm leaving or rather traveling June 2. Is that a busy time? I'm hoping it isn't for the purposes of not too many lines.

Mentioned in this post
Buquebus
Buquebus
1,131 Reviews
Montevideo, Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
Hotel Madero
Hotel Madero
1,986 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day visit to Colonia On route to Montevideo. Storing bags?

Bus schedules are available on the Terminal Colonia website: http://terminalcolonia.com.uy/montevideo.html

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day visit to Colonia On route to Montevideo. Storing bags?

Merci ...... anyone favorites? COT seems to have the better schedules.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
46,601 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day visit to Colonia On route to Montevideo. Storing bags?

COT is an excellent company.

Get answers to your questions about Colonia del Sacramento