We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reaching Out - Hoa Nhap: trading on the handicapped

sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
Reaching Out - Hoa Nhap: trading on the handicapped

This is just to WARN you about this doggy place. It is not a fair trade gift shop & is not set up by a group of people with disabilities as they "advertise". Who get the benifit from the business, the Handicapped ... no no no no. Only the owners

I will write a review about this place back home.

vietnamworks.com.vn/jobseekers/jobdetail.php…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,818 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reaching Out - Hoa Nhap: trading on the handicapped

wow- that's interesting. i'm here in hoian right now, and was in that shop yesterday, but their stuff was twice as expensive as all the others (for the same product I was looking at)

sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reaching Out - Hoa Nhap: trading on the handicapped

This is their address

Reaching Out/Hoa Nhap Handicrafts

No 103 Nguyen Thai Hoc Street (beside Tan Ky Old House)

Hoi An, Vietnam

- ---------------------------------

Avoid this place at all cost

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,754 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reaching Out - Hoa Nhap: trading on the handicapped

aussilady, do you have any evidence to back up your claim?

I suspect that an ulterior motive is at play here and readers should not take the post at face value.

sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reaching Out - Hoa Nhap: trading on the handicapped

If you have ever come to this place, you will find most of the stuff on display are twice or three times as expensive as in others. Some are not made by the handicapped there, but imported ones. They have taken advantage of the local handicapped for years to do business .. as shown on their site, the place has been operated from 2000 ?

Just ask any of the handicapped here How much does he or she get for a month, and is it enought to live - then you'll find i am right.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,754 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reaching Out - Hoa Nhap: trading on the handicapped

I'm very pleased that you have come back aussilady.

I have been to the shop in question this year and - as Maz has pointed out above - the prices are much higher than elsewhere. However that profit margin is justifiable if the quality of the goods is commensurate with the price and the profits are used to provide employment for an ever increasing number of disabled people.

It is therefore very important that you offer concrete evidence that this enterprise does indeed exploit disabled workers.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,796 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reaching Out - Hoa Nhap: trading on the handicapped

I'm not sure why you added a link to a VN JobSearch website?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reaching Out - Hoa Nhap: trading on the handicapped

And judging from her English, aussilady ('Aussielady' surely?) clearly ISN'T Aussie...

Victoria
Level Contributor
111 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reaching Out - Hoa Nhap: trading on the handicapped

I was there in March and had a table runner made to order, one of the "workers" helped pick out the beads and did the beading herself.

I didnt find it expensive for custom make and took gifts for all the staff before I left Hoi An.

I spoke to a young man about wages and he told me that they didnt make a fortune but then who in VN does compared to our standards.

I paid $20usd for my runner and when in Hanoi I purchased a very plain one fo the same price,

everyone need to draw their own conclusions and as all TA advisers have posted just be careful when purchasing.

Still a lot cheaper than Australia and the quality is amazing, I have had so many compliments on mine that when I return I have orders for several more.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reaching Out - Hoa Nhap: trading on the handicapped

"Who get the benifit from the business...Only the owners"

So it's like pretty much any other business in the world then! Except this place seems to offer jobs to people who can't find work elsewhere.

Droitwich, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reaching Out - Hoa Nhap: trading on the handicapped

I have to say when we visited last month that alto=hough things may be a little more expensive the quality was much greater and they sold things we didn;t see anywhere else. The items I bought were great and as gifts people have been very appreciative.

They do not say they don't make a profit- just they employ disabled people, not all in Hoi An but from other places as well. We spoent time with the workers and although they don't earn a fortune- and lets face it very few people do in Vietnam- they are earning and having the opportunity to use skills that otherwise may be lost.

You really do need to back up your claims before making accusations. If you can come back with more concrete evidence people may be more inclined to listen.

If you want to visit a non-profit making organisation then track down the Lifestart Foundation workshop, over the Japanese Bridge, the disabled people who work there run the business themselves and they are non=profit making.