We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takayama Spring Festival - Accommodations help!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Takayama Spring Festival - Accommodations help!

I'd like to stay in Takayama on Apr 14-15 for the spring festival but nothing is available!

Are all the hotels and ryokan are full? I did read some ryokan do not take accommodations earlier than 3 months... and if that is true Jan 14 is when they would open up?

What are good nearby areas to stay that is easy to get to with late transportation. Hida-furukawa is full... the closest options are Toyama, Gero but I am afraid missing the train and I'm not sure when the latest train is because I'd want to see the floats lit up!

There seems to be some places 60 mins bus ride away in the mountains but I also am concern about the bus frequency. Are taxis available (affordable) option?

Is it worth it? Should we just come on April 15 or another time?

11 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Takayama Spring Festival - Accommodations help!

Hyperdia can help you work out train times: http://www.hyperdia.com/

The last train from Takayama to Gero is at 9:45pm.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Takayama Spring Festival - Accommodations help!

Thanks! I did find that out. Looks like most buses to the mountains out east ends 17:00 or 19:00.

How are taxis in Takayama? Will be the available and easily found late?

What time does the festival end?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Takayama Spring Festival - Accommodations help!

This page says that the evening portion of the festival ends at around 9pm: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5909.html

Never taken a taxi in Takayama so I can't help you with that, someone else might be more knowledgeable on that.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Takayama Spring Festival - Accommodations help!

Thanks!! How about trains? How early would you have to go to catch the 9:45 and can you reserve seats or even standing room? Just don't want to miss the last train and be stranded!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,957 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Takayama Spring Festival - Accommodations help!

Hi,

I was at the festival last year. You can see everything in the daytime -all the floats and performances etc. If you stay in the evening they basically take the floats back to the shrine and so it is not anything much different than the daytime(IMO)

It is also a bit harder to see as everyone is crowding the streets at night more than in the day.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
501 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Takayama Spring Festival - Accommodations help!

You might want to try booking hotels close to Takayama - Furukawa/ Gero.

As mentioned above, the night parade ends around 9pm. Very crowded in the small shopping street Honmachi. You just need to be in the area before 7pm. Procession starts around 6.30pm and subjected to weather conditions. We were lucky this year that the weather was good and it was during the peak of sakura.

Get the timetables for all the processions and route maps from the tourist information kiosk in front of Takayama station (not sure if it had shifted into the station) or near Takayama Jinya 高山陣屋. Do note they have different schedules for both days.

I booked my stay in Takayama at least 5 months in advance. You might wish to try all possible booking sites such as Jalan.net, Rakuten Travel, Japanican and others. No advice on taxis since I've never taken one in all my trips to Japan.

Book your train seats once you arrive in Japan in the event you couldn't secure any lodging in Takayama town. Seems like there are only two non-reserved cars in Hida Wide View trains.

jprail.com/trains/sort-by-type/limited-expre…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Takayama Spring Festival - Accommodations help!

Thanks Tham!

Do you think it will be okay to catch the 21:45 train out of Takayama since the festivities end around 21:00?

I haven't fully grasp how the trains work yet...

1. How early do you need to be at the train stations?

2. Is the 21:45 train reservable? Can reserve trains online or it has to be in Japan somewhere (i.e. Tokyo) few days before. I did read we have to pick up our Jrail tickets and exchange them so I suppose that's when we book takayama trains.

I contacted a charter and it seems they will drive to Gero and pick up late around 22:00 onwards. However, we'd likely have a JRAIL so would use that. Did you notice Taxis driving around in Takayama... just wonder if it is easy to flag down?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
501 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Takayama Spring Festival - Accommodations help!

1. There would be many people leaving at the same time. I suggest you make your way slowly right after 9pm. It's at least a 10-15 min walk from Honmachi to the station.

2. The train for 2145hrs is a local train (stopping at every station) - JR Takayama Line bound for Mino-Ota. You would not be able to reserve seats, you could still use the JR Pass to board this train. The seats which you could reserve are those in Shinkansen and Limited Express trains.

In the event you took up that private charter, you could spend a little time at the festival stalls along Honmachi before the pickup. Lots of food and games choices.

Try to search through hotel booking sites every now and then. There might be last-minute cancellations, especially closer to the date. Good luck!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Takayama Spring Festival - Accommodations help!

Thank you for your responses to this inquiry. I'm also planning to go to the Spring Takayama Festival and will be arriving two days in Japan 2 days before the festival. My concern is transport:

April 13 is the earliest I can arrange to get bus tickets to go to Takayama on April 14. I'm afraid of running out of tickets by then :(

Another concern is transport from Takayama City to my hotel in Okuhida which is around one hour away if I were to see the night festival. Does anyone have any idea how much a taxi from Takayama Station/City costs going to Okuhida/Hirayu Onsen area?

SeaTac, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Takayama Spring Festival - Accommodations help!

I am seeing the festival and staying in Hirayu on the night of the 14th. According to our lodging, a taxi would take about an hour and cost between 100 to 125 dollars. I'll be traveling with a partner, and we'd be interested in splitting a taxi with others heading to Hirayu after 9pm!

Edited: 04 February 2017, 16:47
Reply to: Takayama Spring Festival - Accommodations help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted