We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel vs Ryokan in Takayama

Neutral Bay...
Level Contributor
244 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel vs Ryokan in Takayama

Hi,

I am struggling with picking between a hotel or ryokan experience in Takayama.

Originally the plan was to stay in Ryokan for Takayama and Gassho Zukuri for Shirakawa-go. I was not overly keen on the Gassho after reading reviews however made the decision to go ahead after hearing how busy the place gets and its nice to explore once its quiet.

Whilst that is a unique experience, I still wanted to stay in a Ryokan during our 2.5 week trip to Japan as that is the authentic Japanese experience, right and a must do...but wanted to get opinions on whether the Gassho would be a sufficient enough experience. As the problem is I cant find any reasonably price Ryokan in Takayama for 20 April only want to spend around 10,000 Yen pp or less. I was enquiring with Shimizu who are fully booked and came across Seibe which is cheap (9000 Yen Total for two Room Only) but the problem is it I think if we were doing Ryokan I would like the whole experience of meals and they only do breakfast. Therefore now I am considering a hotel unless I can find a Ryokan and was deciding between Spa Hotel Alpina and Hida Hotel Plaza.

I also would like to experience Onsen which we wont get to try at another time throughout the trip as the rest of the properties are just hotels without onsen.

Looking forward to your help & thoughts with my predicament.

Thanks in advance

4 replies to this topic
Japan
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel vs Ryokan in Takayama

The Alpina is a business hotel, but ok. The Plaza is a bit older/tired, but also fine as a place to stay. I've stayed in three other ryokan and another hotel in the town but options can be a bit limited and not always at the price point you want. Asunaro might be an option for you (but above 10k/pp/night.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,174 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel vs Ryokan in Takayama

I stayed in the Spa Hotel Alpina, and the onsen was very good. The hotel itself was a reasonable business hotel.

The gassho zhukuri house I stayed in at Shirakawago was a traditional experience, but I would describe it as more of a guesthouse than a ryokan. While there was traditional Japanese bedding, the meals were served in the communal living room rather than in your own room, which is what normally gets done at a ryokan. They were excellent Japanese meals, using local ingredients, which the hosts took time to explain to us.

Oz
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel vs Ryokan in Takayama

We have also stayed at Hotel Associa on a previous trips, which I would recommend.

Not sure on current rooms prices.

The onsen is lovely - whole floor looking over the town and Japanese alps

5min shuttle bus to Train station

Neutral Bay...
Level Contributor
244 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel vs Ryokan in Takayama

Thanks for all this info we have decided to go with a Ryokan near the Monkey Park in Yudanaka/Nagano as they were a bit more reasonably price there then Takayama and stay at Spa Hotel Alpina when we arrive into Takayama.

Reply to: Hotel vs Ryokan in Takayama
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted