We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Shirakawa-go to Takayama?

Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Taxi from Shirakawa-go to Takayama?

I will be visiting Shirakawa-go by Nouhi bus, departing early in the morning from Kanazawa. I had planned to stay for a few hours before boarding the next bus to Takayama. The last bus departs quite early (in March), but we are looking for alternative ways to also experience Shirakawa-go at night (evening), without have to stay the night (which isn't an option, since all has been booked already).

I was thinking of finding out if there is a taxi we could take from Takayama to Shirakawa-go and back (with roughly one hour in the town at night, just to take pictures and have a stroll). This would mean we have already visited Shirakawa-go that morning for a few hours, but will return again in the evening.

Another option is to buy a Nouhi bus ticket straight from Kanazawa to Takayama, and only depart (again by bus) to Shirakawa-go in the afternoon....but this would still mean we'd need a taxi, since the last bus from Shirakawa-go to Takayama seems to depart around 5.40pm (I assume in March, it will not be fully dark by that time?).

Any suggestion, or should I just give up on my wish to also see Shirakawa-go at night, even if it is a short trip, a costly trip and an exhausting trip....

1 reply
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,850 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Shirakawa-go to Takayama?

If you aren't spending the night at Shirakawago, there is no reason to stay late outside of the winter illumination season. Just take a late afternoon bus to Takayama.

Reply to: Taxi from Shirakawa-go to Takayama?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted