We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takayama todo's (afternoon/evening + next day until 2pm)

UT | NL
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Takayama todo's (afternoon/evening + next day until 2pm)

I was looking into what to during our short visit to Takayama. We are arriving around 4pm if all goes according to plan. This means we have the last part of the afternoon and the evening to do some walking and to see some sights. I was thinking of checking out Sanmachi Suji, Nakabashi bridge and Takayama Jinya (a very short visit), especially around dusk for the nicest pictures.

Next day our bus to Shinhotaka leaves at 2pm (not sure yet, but that's the plan for now). I was thinking of starting early that day to visit the morning market at 7.00 (or even earlier). Our ryokan is very nearby, so this should be easy. Maybe another short stroll through the center and through Sanmachi.

Then what places to visit next. I think I will skip Hida no Sato, as I figure Shirakawa-go is just as nice (did that the day before arriving in Takayama). Is it doable to take a taxi (I don't think a bike is recommended in March) to the Higashiyama area to visit both shrines and the two museums in that area? We don't need hours and I don't mind the costs compared to the time we lose when taking buses of having to walk there (or this is perfectly doable?).

Your input is most welcome :)

2 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Takayama todo's (afternoon/evening + next day until 2pm)

Takayama Jinya is worth more than a short visit, so maybe leave that until the morning. There is a nice market outside in the mornings too. I wouldn't start too early for the morning markets, as some stalls don't really get going until 8 or 9am.

UT | NL
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Takayama todo's (afternoon/evening + next day until 2pm)

Okies. Good to know, was planning to set my alarm clock at 5.30 to be there at 6 (also for photographs). I will be going to Jinya in the morning then, good advice too.

Another question tot pops into my mind. I was thinking about having diner at Maruaki for Hida (beef). Is the my best option, or should I perhaps try another restaurant? Maruaki lies just behind my Ryokan, so easy to go there.

Also, what Hida options do I have, or should I go for. Can it be grilled or should I go for a Japanese version with marinade or something?

Reply to: Takayama todo's (afternoon/evening + next day until 2pm)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted