We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takayama to Shinjuku, Tokyo

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
251 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Takayama to Shinjuku, Tokyo

I will be travelling from Takayama to Shinjuku in Tokyo and using Hyperdia there seem to be so many connections, is that correct? Can anyone please advise if there is a direct/less connections route available using a JR pass? I'm hoping for one or two stops only. I'd like to go via Toyama as I hear that is a nicer route than Nagoya.

Thanks

14 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,970 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Takayama to Shinjuku, Tokyo

You can make reservations at any JR station after you arrive in Japan.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
251 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Takayama to Shinjuku, Tokyo

I have read several times that the Toyama route is nicer than going via Nagoya. Also I will be traveling back to Nagoya on that route so avoiding the same trip twice.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Takayama to Shinjuku, Tokyo

The problem with going via Toyama is that most Hida Ltd Express trains don't go all the way to Toyama and thus there is not very many good connections that route. If you can make timetables work for you, it is at least little different that going via Nagoya but unless you want to spend some time in Toyama it is not that nice that it would be worth making any other sacrifices. At least 15:10 departure from Takayama works nicely.

Japan
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Takayama to Shinjuku, Tokyo

The trains and connections via Toyama are fine - I've never had a problem in that regards. I see more crowding on the trains on the Takayama/Nagoya route.

Also, often I approach via Nagoya and don;t like back-tracking/covering the same thing twice. Depends where I'm going next as well (eg Kanazawa, Nagano or just back to Tokyo.)

Reply to: Takayama to Shinjuku, Tokyo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted