We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy way to travel from Niigata to Nozawa Onsen in winter?

9 posts
Save Topic
Easy way to travel from Niigata to Nozawa Onsen in winter?

My family is planning a ski trip this winter at Nozawa Onsen.

Now that we have to purchase plane tickets, we've discovered that we can fly into either Niigata or Tokyo. Distance-wise, Niigata is closer. What are the transportation options from the Niigata International Airport to Nozawa Onsen in the winter? Riding the train could be an option, but the duration is almost as long as the bus ride from Narita to Nozawa Onsen, so I'm looking for non-train options, if possible.

4 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy way to travel from Niigata to Nozawa Onsen in winter?

The majority of skiers (including me) arrives at Tokyo, take Shinkansen to liyama, then shuttle bus to Nozawa in 30min.

If you opt to land at Niigata instead, use hyperdia.com to check train schedules.

refer to official website for access.

http://www.nozawaski.com/winter/en/access/

9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy way to travel from Niigata to Nozawa Onsen in winter?

I understand their official website has information for directions, but currently it only shows their "summer" information.

I'm wondering if there are additional transportations from the Niigata Int. Airport in the "winter" season, as I guess there will be more demand from skiiers.

Macau, China
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy way to travel from Niigata to Nozawa Onsen in winter?

Even though Niigata is closer in terms of distance, it is much much easier to go from Tokyo with frequent service of Shinkansen and bus. And AFAIK no one will fly to Niigata and go to Nozawa from there as the transit is troublesome and takes similar time with going from Tokyo. see www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/search.html…

Edited: 11 September 2017, 22:19
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy way to travel from Niigata to Nozawa Onsen in winter?

There is not much demand from Niigata to Nozawa Ski Resort.

Niigata skiers have their own ski resorts in Niigata.

All I could find were

Niigata - Nagano - Nozawa route

or

Niigata - bus stop in the middle of nothing on the Highway - some transfers - Nozawa

Reply to: Easy way to travel from Niigata to Nozawa Onsen in winter?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted