I have been following this forum and understand there are a few Hokkaido's Expert here. I hope you can take a look at my 10-Days Hokkaido Self-Drive Trip itinerary and provide me with your suggestions. Our main purpose is to enjoy the scenery and nature.
Day 0, May 17 > Singapore to Chitose Airport
Day 1, May 18 > Sapporo
- Sapporo (Reach Chitose Airport before 12 noon)
- Take JR from Chitose Airport to Sapporo City
- Check in Hotel in Sapporo
- Enjoy Sapporo (Visit Nijo Market for lunch, walk around and shop at Sapporo Factory/ Underground Shopping Mall, dinner at Ramen Yokochō)
Day 2, May 19 > Sapporo to Lake Akan
- Check out Hotel and pick up rental car
- Check in a hot spring resort in Lake Akan
Day 3, May 20 > Lake Akan
- Enjoy Lake Akan and nearby lakes and mountains.
Day 4, May 21 > Lake Akan to Sounkyo
- Check out resort in Lake Akan
- Drive from Lake Akan to Kamiyubetsu Tulip Park (Tuilip Fair) to Takinoue Park (Pink Moss Festival) to Sounkyo
- Check in a hot spring resort in Sounkyo
Day 5, May 22 > Sounkyo
- Enjoy Sounkyo Gorge and surrounding.
- Enjoy Mount Daisetsu-zan National Park.
Day 6, May 23 > Sounkyo to Asahikawa City
- Check out resort in Sounkyo
- Drive from Sounkyo to Asahikawa City
- Check in hotel in Asahikawa City
- Enjoy Asahikawa main street
Day 7, May 24 > Asahikawa City to Furano
- Check out resort in Asahikawa
- Drive from Asahikawa City to Higashikawa to Biei to Furano
- Check in a farm/orchard stay in Furano
Day 8, May 25 > Furano to Otaru
- Check out hotel in Furano
- Drive from Furano to Takikawa to Otaru
- Check in hotel in Otaru
Day 9, May 26 > Otaru
- Enjoy Otaru (Kitaichi Venezian museum, Music Box Museum, Canal and Sakaimachi Street)
Day 10, May 27 > Otaru to Chitose Airport
- Check out hotel in Otaru
- Drive from Otaru to Chitose Airport (flight at 8.40pm)
- Return rental car at/near Chitose Airport
1) Is Kushiro worth visiting during May? Should we skip or spent at least a day here?
2) Is Mokotoyama-Onsen Shibazakura Park worth visiting since we will be going to Takinoue Park. Are they on the same route?
3) I am worried that we may not have enough time for Day 4 as quite a distance to cover between Lake Akan and Sounkyo. Do you think Day 4 has too much to cover? Where is a good place to stay along this route if I need to distribute it to two days?
4) Is there any nice scenic route that we can drive? For example, between Sapporo to Lake Akan and Sounkyo Gorge to Asahikawa?
5) Is there any place around our route that is worth visiting for 1 or 2 day? We can cut down the days spent from Asahikawa to Otaru if there are more interesting places.
6) I am using google map to find out the route. Is there a better road planner website to use? I tried the northern navigation map but I cannot locate most of the areas in it. I think it is because I don’t have the Japanese name of the road.
7) Do you have any good hotel/ryokan/onsen (preferably with outdoor hot spring)? Our budget is 10,000 – 15,000 yen per room per night.
8) Does all the car rental company provides free English GPS?
We greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions!