We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Narita Airport to Ueno Station, Tokyo

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Trains from Narita Airport to Ueno Station, Tokyo

Hi Everyone,

I wish to travel from Narita airport terminal 1 to Ueno Station in Tokyo. I have the following (cheaper) options without using my JR pass:

Keisei Skyliner is fast but expensive. I also need to spend time buying a ticket and making a reservation. Also, the trains are not so frequent.

I prefer the Keisei Main line which costs 1025 Yen (with a convenient Pasmo card) or the Access express (also called the Narita Sky Access Line) which costs 1235 Yen with the Pasmo card. (All costs obtained on 28th Jan 2018).

I have three questions please:

1. How much time does the Keisei Main Line train take from Narita terminal 1 to Ueno?

2. How much time does the Access Express take?

3. Are the trains very crowded? I will have a suitcase and would like a seat.

Thanks very much for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Ueno
Ueno
1,288 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
9 replies to this topic
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Narita Airport to Ueno Station, Tokyo

Hi again,

Forgot to add the expected time of my trip from Narita to Ueno because that may affect the crowds on the trains.

I plan to travel from the airport to Ueno between 6 pm and 8 pm. It could be a weekday or a holiday.

Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Ueno
Ueno
1,288 Reviews
Taito, Japan
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,762 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Narita Airport to Ueno Station, Tokyo

http://www.hyperdia.com/ will answer your questions regarding times.

The trains may get crowded during rush hours, as they are commuter trains, but you will be able to get a seat as you're boarding at Narita. You will need to hold on to your luggage though. The seats are sideways facing and there is no space set aside for luggage.

The advantage of the Skyliner is that the seats are forward facing and there are decent sized luggage racks plus room at your seat to place luggage. The time buying a ticket for a reserved seat is no more than buying a Pasmo, so unless you already have a Pasmo, I wouldn't consider this a factor.

I often stay in Asakusa so I've used the Access Express to or from there. It's fine but it's definitely a commuter train. If I was going to Ueno, I would go for the Skyliner.

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Asakusa
Asakusa
5,407 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Ueno
Ueno
1,288 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Narita Airport to Ueno Station, Tokyo

#1 It depends on how many stops the train will make, even within the same category of limited express, but about an hour and 20 min by Keisei Main Line Limited Express (direct service)

#2 Just over an hour by Sky Access, changing at Aoto. This is for daytime trains. Very early and late trains may have a direct service to Ueno.

#3 Not when they leave the Airport, as they originate there and you will definitely get a seat. There is no luggage rack as such so you need to keep your luggage by your feet, or it isn't too heavy, you can put it on overhead luggage shelf.

Mentioned in this post
Ueno
Ueno
1,288 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from Narita Airport to Ueno Station, Tokyo

Many Thanks.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains from Narita Airport to Ueno Station, Tokyo

Many thanks.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains from Narita Airport to Ueno Station, Tokyo

Hi, may I know whether I still need to get a ticket if I choose to board the Access Express or Keisei Main Line? Are they are just regular train services which deduct charges on PASMO card? Thanks in advance.

Level Contributor
3,243 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains from Narita Airport to Ueno Station, Tokyo

Access Express and Keisei Line Ltd Exp are regular commuter services that deduct the fare automatically if you use the PASMO/Suica.

In contrast, Keisei Skyliner is an airport access dedicated train; it's frequent enough from my understanding; it's not that expensive having used it a couple of times, and if you are s foreign visitor and buy the Pass combo, it's acyually a good deal.

You may take whatever train that meets your demand.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 17:06
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains from Narita Airport to Ueno Station, Tokyo

Hi

I have just come back from Japan and used the Access Express (running only in the evenings and probably mornings) and Keisei Line Ltd Exp. It takes around 80 mins but is about half the cost of the Skyliner. Being a commuter train it is not as comfortable as the Skyliner - but you get to see how ordinary people live and travel in Japan. There is enough space to keep your luggage if you are not travelling during peak hours.

If you have the JR Pass you can also take the Narita Express to Tokyo main station for no extra cost. The other trains go to Ueno - which is on the main metro line for many areas.

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Ueno
Ueno
1,288 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Hong Kong, China