We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions regarding transferring from NRT to HND

Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Questions regarding transferring from NRT to HND

Hello, I'm asking a few questions for my parents, who are Vietnamese with a U.S visa, flying from Ho Chi Minh City to Minnesota, and will stop at NRT with 9hr 50m layover to transit from NRT to HND. I have few questions I want to clarify. (And just to note: they don't know any English and I'm planning to have a list of questions in Vietnamese/English for them in case)

1. Do they need a Japan visa OR just a shore pass to transfer from NRT to HDN? If one of these, how should they obtain it?

2. Do they have to take out their check-in luggage? If so, do they have to go through custom and fill out any paperwork to list the content they have? Also, when they re-check the luggage at HND, do they need to fill out any form for their luggage?

3. From transferring from NRT to HND, which way is the best option? I heard that Airport Limousine seems to be the best option?

4. In the worst case, if they get lost, would there be any airport staff able to help them if they don't know any English?

5. Would you recommend to request a wheelchair service for them so that there would at least be someone to guide them around?

Thank you very much!

Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
4 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions regarding transferring from NRT to HND

Has to be asked....why are they doing this routing in the first place and why not just connect in Narita? Why not go through Incheon?

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Incheon
Incheon
South Korea
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions regarding transferring from NRT to HND

Because that's how the tickets are sold as. And please, I'm here to ask my questions, not here to answer your unrelated questions. Thanks

California
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions regarding transferring from NRT to HND

AFAIK Vietnamese passport holders need a visa, but you or they or both should contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate to ask about your specific question.

Narita and Haneda are both top tier international airports and should be able to provide some Vietnamese language help.

The customs form on entry lists what needs to be declared, and if there is nothing to declare, then they can exit customs through the nothing to declare line. Exit customs does not really exist but of course the airline will ask about prohibited items in the luggage.

The airport limousine bus to Haneda from Terminal 1 leaves from bus stops 3 or 12, and at Terminal 2, the bus leaves from stops 6 or 16. My experience is that you need to pay in yen, but I don't know that for sure.

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
California
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions regarding transferring from NRT to HND

One other thing. Is the ticket on one airline all the way or on airlines in one airline alliance? If so, then the originating airline might also be helpful.

Reply to: Questions regarding transferring from NRT to HND
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted