We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Visit Near Okinawa Main Island

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
276 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Island Visit Near Okinawa Main Island

Hello!

My family is staying in Central Okinawa for 6 nights early December and want to take our baby on a ferry ride to a nearby island for a day trip. I am looking for an island that is less than 2 hours ferry ride each way (1 hour by fast ferry), has nice beaches, and easy access around the island by way of rental car or possibly taxi tour.

I looked at Ishigaki but flying will take at least 3 hours each way (transport, checking, flying, pickup bags, etc.), and I already prebooked hotels in Okinawa so I can't change it. Then I looked at Zamami Island in the Keramas which seemed pleasant. Is it worth spending a whole day to visit an island for a little adventure? Can you recommend other nearby islands close to Okinawa main island. We are renting a car while in Okinawa. An alternative is to just drive and spend time on Ikijima island.

Edited: 21 November 2017, 01:50
Mentioned in this post
Okinawa City
Okinawa City
Okinawa Prefecture, Japan
Ishigaki
Ishigaki
3 replies to this topic
Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
3,181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Visit Near Okinawa Main Island

Iejima Island is 1 hour ferry ride from Motobu-cho. Zamami Island is 50 minutes from Naha. Tokashiki Island for 35 minutes. You won't be able to spend much time in Kumejima if you ride a ferry for a day trip.

Following islands can be reached by driving from Okinawa main island.

Senagajima (Tomigusuku) near Naha Airport

Four islands, including Ikeijima and Hamahigajima, in Uruma

Kourijima in Nakijin-son

Sesokojima in Motobu-cho

Mentioned in this post
Motobu-cho
Motobu-cho
Kunigami-gun, Japan
Naha
Naha
Kumejima-cho
Kumejima-cho
Shimajiri-gun, Japan
Okinawa City
Okinawa City
Tomigusuku
Tomigusuku
Naha Airport
Naha Airport
Okinawa City, Japan
Uruma
Uruma
Nakijin-son
Nakijin-son
Kunigami-gun, Japan
SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Visit Near Okinawa Main Island

Perhaps you may want to check my TA reviews here for Zamami and Tokashiki island beaches. On the way on ferry, check the dark navy sea color that is famous and many accessories replicate the color called Hotaru(fire fly) Glass. You might see flying fish having a long flight along the ferry, if you are vigilant.

I also liked Mibaru beach which is one hour bus ride from the Naha bus terminal all the way to the beach front. And the beach is long and scenic with many small boulders sticking up in shallow water just off the beach. I am not sure off season but check if they are still operating the glass bottom boat ride that takes you to the coral/fish habitat area.

Mentioned in this post
Naha
Naha
Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
3,181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Visit Near Okinawa Main Island

Asahibashi bus terminal in Naha has been under construction, which is scheduled to be finished in spring 2018. Bus departs from normal bus stops.

Mentioned in this post
Naha
Naha
Reply to: Island Visit Near Okinawa Main Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Okinawa Prefecture