We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Okinawa

4 posts
Save Topic
1 week in Okinawa

HI

We are going to Okinawa from next year 4 Feb to 12 Feb,family of four with mother.We are planning to go:

1.Okinawa Churaumi aquarium and Ocean Expo Park-Orchid Festival

2.Shuri castle and Shuri castle park

3.Nakijin Castle

4.Mt. Yaedakein MotobuTown-Cherry Blossom

5.Nago Castle Park -Cherry Blossom

6.Shiosai Koen -sunflower-where?

7.NagoCentral Park in NagoCity

8.Southeast botanical garden-where?

9.Cape Manza

10.Kariyushi Million Fantasy-where?

11.Whale watching

12.shopping/seafood market?

May I know where to stay in Naha or Nago?

We will be renting a car, may i know how to plan to go above places if self drive?

Whale watching-good company tour to recommend

shopping/seafood - any recommadation?

As my mother interested in flower and nature,any other places to recommend?

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
2,526 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in Okinawa

Draw triangle for Nago, Churaumi Aquarium, and Nakijin-son. Driving each line is 30 - 40 minutes each.

Southeast Botanical Garden is near Okinawa Kita IC on the expressway road. When you exit the expressway, drive toward Kadena-cho, you'll see the direction board on your right hand.

http://www.southeast-botanical.jp/access/

Mapcode is in the above URL.

Shopping can be at Aeon Mall Rycom and American Village between Nago and Naha. Both have large car park. DFS Galleria in Naha is also typical shopping place for tourists.

Okinawa, Japan
Level Contributor
28 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in Okinawa

I would recommend you stay in Nago, cheaper hotels and car rentals are cheaper. Also as recommended list the locations on a map as to where they are as most you want to see are around the Nago or Northern area, with the exception of S/E Botanical Garden which is just North of the large Kadena Air Base, easy to find off of route 74 which runals on the N. Side of Kadena and the Flower Gardens which are closer to Naha or the area known as Kitanagusuku, Pacific side of Okinawa. Large flower spot called Himaware or Sunflower and the large Chrysanthemum Garden which is in the North not far from Nago. The DFS Galleria in Naha is not there any longer but in Naha you have International Street and Peace Street for covered shopping. Known on the maps they are called Kokusai dori and Heiwa dori, respectively. Shuri Castle is in Naha area, easy to find as well as Whale Watching out of Naha Port or Tomari Port. Companies can be listed by checking "Whale Watching in Okinawa" through the online site of Okinawa Hai https://okinawahai.com/ this site will also give you directions to any of the places you want to visit as you listed hotels like Manza and others which are on the East China Sea Side closer to Nago and the Motobu Area you want to visit. You will need a rental car and should get one with GPS Navi and from the rental company you should be given a booklet of the locations you want to see and they will have a map code to put into the GPS Navi which will give you the driving instructions in English. Prices vary from company to company but checking other sites like ClickOkinawa.com you can ask the site by joining and the guy who runs it, Mick, a friend can give you some good information as he comes here every year and drives a lot so he should be able to tell you which of the companies for car rentals are best. Feel free to ask me for other information as we live on the East China Sea Side in Yomitan and my wife is from both Yomitan and Onna. Yomitan is famous for many sites and Cape Zampa and Onna is famous for the beautiful beasches of Manza, Seragaki and Manzamo. Naha is also famous for the Chinese Gardens in central Naha, the Chinese Garden of Fukushuen close to the main highway 58 that runs through Naha. Yes the Express is a fast way to go from South to North and is a Toll Highway. cost is in Japanese Yen and from Naha Airport to Nago can cost equal to $2.00 to 15.00 USD. But you will need yen as currency. Currency exchanges are cheaper out of the Air Terminal and are located throughout Okinawa. Good Luck and your coming at a good time as the Sakura Blossoms in Nago are beautiful.

Okinawa, Japan
Level Contributor
28 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in Okinawa

Excuse the typos but Trip Advisor did not allow me to make corrections. Shame on you Trip Advisor.

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in Okinawa

Thanks for the reply.

We will like to go for one of the island to experience, but we don't know how to swim, what other activities can we do on island and which island to go?

Reply to: 1 week in Okinawa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted