We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mersing-Tioman Speed Boat/Ferry

Which Mersing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
1 post
Save Topic
Mersing-Tioman Speed Boat/Ferry

Could someone please advise if the speed boats and ferries safe to travel on i.e. have a good safety record, in good condition, safety equipment on-board and not overloaded with passengers risking capsizing?

Many thanks.

Mersing
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Mersing-Tioman Speed Boat/Ferry

personally, i think , is best to choose a ferry.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mersing-Tioman Speed Boat/Ferry

Hi, with a recent mishap,occuring in Oct, this year,where an unlicensed passenger ferry caught fire,and sank, and with intervention from our Prime Minister, we hope traveling on ferry from Mersing to Tioman will be safe,and ferry is licensed and meets marine specification with regards to provision of life vests, sea worthy,and not overcrowded.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mersing-Tioman Speed Boat/Ferry

Any specific recomendations for a Ferry company?

In light of the Benjaya strike situation i have decided to travel over land and see to get to Tioman.

nst.com.my/Current_News/…index_html

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
52 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mersing-Tioman Speed Boat/Ferry

Our group of 9 just went to Tioman last week end. We took the Bluewater ferry from Mersing. The trip out boarded on time and the seas were agreeable. The trip back was supposed to leave jetty stop 3 at 3 o'clock, but we did not leave until almost 4.... even though the boat was at the dock. Don't know why, or what was going on. The seas were good for the first half until a quick storm blew by and roughed us up a bit. All clear by the time we arrived so I was glad not to get soaked after the roughing up.

As for the safety records, I do not know. There were plenty of life jackets that I could see, but I do not think, by the look of things, that maintenance and upkeep are held to the highest of standards.

Once you get to Tioman... enjoy... it is beautiful.

Hope this helps.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mersing-Tioman Speed Boat/Ferry

Thanks for the feedback..

Getting a private hire car from KLIA and a boat to Tioman sounds like the way to go.

No hanging around in bus stations or airports, although it will cost a little extra.

Many thanks,

Will

Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mersing-Tioman Speed Boat/Ferry

The ferry terminal for travelling by Bluewater should be a Gemok Ferry terminal, different from Mersing. It takes about 1.5 hr. It is fairly safe, mostly tourist on board

Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mersing-Tioman Speed Boat/Ferry

Iam looking for transportation to Tioman as well. How do I "charter" a private boat (if possible), can I do so in advance from Europe?

Also, I didn't get the last bit, what is the ferry / jetty terminal called in Mersing to come to Tioman please?

Thanks

S.B.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
52 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mersing-Tioman Speed Boat/Ferry

The ferry we took to Tioman was the Bluewater Express and it left from the jetty in Mersing. From Mersing to Tioman is RM35 per person one way. The phone number on the ticket is 07-7994811 and the fax number is 07-7995696

the address is Kaunter #8, Jeti Pelabuhan Mersing, 86800 Mersing, Johor

We took a taxi to and from the jetty (we are staying in Malacca).... it was pre-arranged though so that we did not have to think about how to find a ride home.

Hope this helps.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mersing-Tioman Speed Boat/Ferry

Thanks a lot..

I am not going to bother pre-booking a boat. I expect there will be plenty once I get there.

Does anyone need a ride from KLIA to Mersing on Sunday 24th August?

My flight touches down 7.30am and I have a driver waiting with a mini van. Got a few spaces left.

Will

Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mersing-Tioman Speed Boat/Ferry

thanks for the additional information. I hope the safety has been improved since last year's tragedy...

Thanks

S.B.