We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions from a budget traveller

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions from a budget traveller

Hi there,

I've been searching the threads for answers and have got some good info, but I thought I'd ask a few questions in my own thread to see what other expert advice I can get!

I'm flying to Langkawi with a friend for a few days chilling out on the beach.

I'm keen to know the following:

1. I'm guessing Pantai Cenang will be the best option for a mix of beach, food, bars and cheap accommodation - am I correct?

2. Any recommendations for low key accommodation that is friendly and a good place to meet fellow travellers? Not really looking for a real partying place, and I might be a bit beyond sleeping in a dorm. Budget isn't the issue - good atmosphere is most important. Being right by the beach would be a bonus.

3. We're flying out of Penang. I've read on wikitravel that the ferry isn't that exciting, so I'm thinking Firefly might be a quicker option to get to Penang for not much more money. Any thoughts on this?

4. Do you recommend a night in Penang before flying out? We'd be able to travel from Langkawi in the morning to make it to the airport in time to fly out.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Pantai Cenang
Pantai Cenang
Langkawi, Malaysia
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions from a budget traveller

HI

1. Pentai Cenang is a mix of beach, a few restaurants and bars, and a range of different budget hotels. Its a real laid back place.

2. I am sure that someone like Baskie, Eva, Lesley, PamRedboots etc can help on this one. I do belive the hotel next to the Casa del Mar, Beach Garden Resort might fit the description.

3. The ferry is a 3 hour ferry, so unless wikitravel feels that it should be an exciting ferry ride then I am not sure what is expected. It is a ferry and it gets you from A to B. The flight is certainly quicker, 20mins, plus check in time. There are 2 ferries and 2 flights a day, and the price is very similar, just a few ringitt difference. No weight restrictions on the ferry.

4. IMO I think Penang is worth a least a night, if not more. Georgetown has some great sights and sounds that should not be missed.

enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Cenang Beach
Cenang Beach
4,035 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
2,605 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions from a budget traveller

"a few restaurants"

Are you joking? There must be well over 50.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,372 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions from a budget traveller

Dear Steve,

put Pondok Keladi first on your list!!

Zackry's Guesthouse.

AB Motel or Malibest.

Beach Garden

Come back if this is not enough.

Eva

Mentioned in this post
AB Motel
AB Motel
415 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Malibest Resort
Malibest Resort
941 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,734 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions from a budget traveller

hi! much depends on when you want to go. i've heard beachgarden is heavily booked. agree with eva, but also look at frangipani, holiday villas, federal. some good places to eat close by and a short taxi ride to p. cenang.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions from a budget traveller

Thanks for the advice to date. The "when" was an important omission - we'll be in Langkawi the week before Easter (which is next week - can't wait!)

Would be interested to know if it'll be busy or whether we can just walk up and pick a place to stay.

Is there a booking service at the airport that can make bookings for budget accommodation?

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,734 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions from a budget traveller

hi again! several posters have said beach garden is full for the next few weeks. most of the accommodation mentioned is small. suggest at least checking availability before you go. try asiatravel.comm. the larger hotels have desks at the airport but i havn't noticed any budget agents.

pam

7. Re: A few questions from a budget traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 16:19