We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi Jellyfish??

Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Langkawi Jellyfish??

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help regarding the jellyfish around Langkawi. My girlfriend and I are staying around Pantai Cenang and been seeing hundreds of what look like tiny see though jellyfish on the beach.

We have been in the sea twice and both times I've been stung though not badly luckily.

Can anyone advise on where or when we can swim and avoid the jellyfish?

I'm keen to avoid any more stings but really want to be able to swim.

Thank you in advance.

Michael

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

Hi, these small roundish clear creatures are not jelly fish we were told by locals they are called sea potatoes and are completely harmless, we too thought they were some kind of jelly fish?

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

the name 'sea potato' normally refers to a type of sea urchin. i am fairly sure what you have seen are a type of hydrozoa, which may or may not be a pre-medusa stage of a sea-jelly.

there are many creatures capable of giving a mild stinging sensation. they go under many different names [sea-lice, sea-nettle, sea-bee]. but the general consensus is that these are all types of juvenile sea-jelly.

sea-jellies follow polution. so you need to find a clean beach where effluent is not fed into the sea. good luck with that one.

pam

Nizhny Novgorod...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

This is the season where most jellyfish stings have been reported. And I've seen very bad jellyfish sting in the ER happened on a Russian man who needed opioids for the pain. Just keep ur eyes wide opened and get some antihistamines and painkillers ready. Good luck with that and have fun in Langkawi.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

Most advise to carry vinegar with you for the stings. Pour it straight onto the affected area.

Sorry, but Langkawi does seem to have a problem with "jelly fish".

Perhaps you could go to an island and have a swim there.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
436 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

We have spent 2-3 hours every day for the past week in the water at P.Tengah and no jellyfish have been spotted, only hundreds of theese harmless jelly blobs as described above.

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
915 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

This is a common problem here, I'm seriously affected as I seem to be rather allergic to the stings. If itching is serious, take an antihistamine.

Tanjung Rhu beach is probably OK, I've known trouble there, but it's much less common than Pantai Cenang.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

Dear Slim,

the west coast has the most problem! The north coast is less affected. Swimming from a boat is the safest if someone on the boat is on jelly-watch. Over the 7 years that I am here on the water I had only twice a problem but both happened this year. I would never swim away far unless you have a dinghy right next to you.

There is always sh....t in paradise.

Eva

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

Hi,

Family and I are headed to Langkawi this weekend. What is the jellyfish situation this time of the year - have any been spotted or stings reported recently - especially the dangerous Box jellyfish variety? Is it still safer to swim at the beaches near Datai and Tanjung Rhu?

Thanks for the help.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

We were there a couple weeks ago and my fiance got a very bad sting along the Panteng Cenang shoreline. Sting was such that she experienced respiratory problems and was rushed to emergency room, given anti-venom and had a lengthy hospital stay. We did some research and there are other stories like this out there and our guest house spoke of many customers getting stung as well. Anyways, always a potential threat when on vacation in the south pacific and hasn't stopped us from swimming. Ultimately good to be aware a sting can happen and it is not a bad idea to carry vinegar and have knowledge over how to react in a sting situation.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

i am sorry to hear of your wife's misadventure. thank you for posting.

box jellies have again been reported off the west coast - but also, for the first time, around some of the southern islands. i am told rampant sailing have now invested in full-body stinger suits, in a good variety of sizes, and suggest to their guests they should wear them while swimming off the boat. i applaud this attitude towards the safety of their guests.