We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of Questions

Lancashire
6 posts
Save Topic
Lots of Questions

I am planning a surprise holiday for my husbands 50th birthday next year and am thinking of KL and Sabah. The main reasons for choosing these destinations is to combine a city break with seeing the orang-utans and also to have some beach/chill out time. As the cost is going to be quite expensive I want to make sure I am making the right choices based on the views of those who have alraedy been there.

1. Firstly is it better to go in Feb or March with regards to the amount of sunshine we will get in Sabah?

2. Is 3 nights (2 days) enough time in KL to see the main tourist sights. I would like to go to Malacca whist we are there if possible.

3. One of the tour operators does a package that consists of KL 3 nights, Sabah 1 night, Sandakan 1 night then back to Sabah for 7 nights. This includes a boat trip on Menanggoi, a visit to Giomantong cave and a trip Sepilok to see the orang-utans. Has anyone done this trip as a package and if so is it worth doing or would it be cheaper/better to have more time in Sabah and arrange the trips from there?

4. Is the beach nice at the Rasa Ria - there seems to be conflicting views. I like to relax on the beach without hassel and also be able to swim in the sea. Is this possible or would I be better having less time at Sabah and perhaps spending some nights on Langkawi for the beach destination?

5.There also seems to be conflicting views on Rasa Ria with some saying it is great, food good, orang-utan sanctury good to visit, whilst others say it is awful with screaming kids, tired looking rooms and poor food. I just want a nice clean room, good food, friendly staff and a nice poool area - does it provide this? Bearing in mind I would be in a basic room as unfortunatly my budget won't stretch to the Ocean Wing.

6. I must admit we don't normally like to be hotel based and enjoy eating out at local restaurants but I understand you are quite cut off from anywhere else. Is it worth going into Kota Kinabula for an evening just to break up the monotony of eating in the same place every night, or would it be better staying at the other hotel nearer to town?

7. What is the average price for a 3 course evening meal at the Rasa Ria (based on current exchange rate to GB pounds) and would it be better to pay for breakfast in with my holiay price or wait till I arrive. The main brochures all seem to be charging approx £9.00 per person per day for breakfast.

Sorry - last question!! Is it worth choosing the Rasa Ria for the orang-utan sanctory? Again the reviews seem very conflicting with some saying it is a disappointing experience, not being able to see much or take photos etc. Is this true and is the Sepilok trip any better - again some conflicting views. I'd hate to go that way and spend a lot of money and it not to live up to expectations.

Hopefully someone out there will be able to answer my many questions so I can go ahead and book our trip.

PS. We have visited Singapore, Hong Kong and Thailand and enjoyed all 3 with Thailand being our favorite. How does KL/Sabah compare?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,829 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of Questions

HI

What a lovely thought!

1. No difference really.

2. If you want a day trip to Malacca then think 3 days in KL, most people like 2-4 days to see the main sights.

3. Sabah is a large state not a town, Sandakan is in Sabah. I think the tour operator means Kota Kinabalu (KK)! The tour is a tour around Sabah including several stops I would suspect! Cost up this tour agains doing it your self. It is good value?? Tours arranged directly with companies in KK and cheap enough.

4. The beach is lovely at the Rasa Ria. It is long soft and derserted. The sea has wave action, so the water is not clear but it is clean. The only hassle you will get on this beach is from the odd fly. The whole stretch of beach is owned by the hotel. KK is a great beach destination as the water is much clearer - totally different to Langkawi.

5 The Ocean wing is wonderful, the garden wing less so. Staff are very friendly, pools are nice. You can always upgrade when you get there. Kids are a risk at school holidays! The food is good, albeit expensive as you are a captive auduience, the orang-utan sanctury is worth a visit. You could spend time at the Rasa Ria and half the time in Kota Kinabalu.

6. KK is 40mins bus / taxi ride away. It is worth going into town. You can eat at the night market for next to nothing. Staying a few nights at the RR and then a few nights in town is certainly worth considering.

7. Which restaurant?? 100myr per person for Tepi Laut and Coffee terrace (£17). The Indian and Japanese are probaly similar in price. Whilst coast is much more expensive, expect to pay at least £25 each plus drinks. Don't go by brouhure prices, the hotels usually include breakfast if you book direct or via one of the many, many reservation web sites.

8. If folks find the orang-utan santuary a disappointing experience, not being able to see much or take photos etc, then they haven't been to Sepilok, as that's not nearly as good an experiance, and is a whole days trip away with a flight to Sandakan, taxis etc.

9. KL is very similar yet very different to Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok. Different sights and general feel. Sabah is all about the wilderness, rainforest, beaches, and can't really be compared to anythin the others offer. How can you compare Lancashire and Yorkshire?

Why not price up a similar holiday as a DIY trip (flights from netflights.com), booking hotels, internal travel with Malaysian or Air Asia, and trips yourself. We find it gives us a great choice to give us what we want.

Have a great time planning. Always happy to help and lots of great advice on this site.

Have fun!!

Lancashire
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of Questions

Thank you so much for answering all my questions I didn't think one person would reply to all but I really appreciate your views/advice. I will certainly take on board what you have said and get a price from the travel agent and campare with a DIY trip although I'm not too confident in internet booking, prefering face to face contact.

Thanks again, I will no doubt think of something else to ask but hopefully there won't be as many questions next time!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,829 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lots of Questions

Hi

booking on line is very easy and simple. Like using Ebay or Amazon. Once you have had a go, you will be addicated to internet booking . . !!

Ring up netflights.com, they are very helpful, and more knowledgable than most High Street travel agents.

4. Re: Lots of Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2010, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Sabah